Spam Spam and a Slice of Dedicated Ham!

Do you mean block incoming spam or block users from sending spam?

We use SpamAssassin to block incoming spam on a per-account basis. Those that want it can turn it on in CPanel. I personally turn it on for most of my clients though, as it seems to do a great job and I haven't seen hardly any false-positives.

We just have the normal security measures setup for outgoing email... maximums per hour per account, monitoring, disabled default formmail scripts, etc.

yes, SpamAssasin is the one my ISP has built in to their control panel which is Plesk. Are you having a problem with SPAM? Most ISP's provide it on the server level.
You can also try SpamKiller by Mcaffee.
My ISP is called sparkservers.net and any server that you lease from them will have SPAM Assasin in the control panel.

This helps also:

"netstat -nee | grep "\:25" | awk ' { print $5 }' | awk -F: '{ print $1 }' | sort|uniq -c"

That will print each ip connected to port 25 and the number of connections. I've found IPs with 60 connections. Typically from china

xion said:
This helps also:

"netstat -nee | grep "\:25" | awk ' { print $5 }' | awk -F: '{ print $1 }' | sort|uniq -c"

That will print each ip connected to port 25 and the number of connections. I've found IPs with 60 connections. Typically from china

Wow, great advice on this one!

Only when I notice a high server load with a lot of exim processes. All the exim processes will have a PWD of / and there won't be a huge load of messages in the queue. So from that you can tell that its incoming spam.

Does this block the messages from every reaching the mailbox or is it for redirecting into a spam designated mailbox?

If you are a web hosting service you should give your customers the opt-out option from receiving junk mail, because some people go over them quickly to see if there is something interesting. Some of your customers could send out mass automated email too, which might be junk mail but not spam.

I use SpamArrest quite effectively. I have been receiving anywhere between 500-1000 spam messages a day, and now a couple per day might come through.

MailScanner and Spamassassin together are very affective at blocking spam and viruses.

The key ingredient is to configure MailScanner to block any connections from hosts listed in spam DNSBLs and RBLs. Blocking the email before it is processed drastically reduces server load.

We are about to deploy the Plesk Spamassassin module on a managed box. I am praying that it works well as we have not tried this yet. Keeping fingers crossed.

Here is a report of our experiences:

We deployed the Spamassassin module that interacts with our Plesk hosting software. Once it is up and running each user has their own control panel to "Train" the software on what is spam and what is not. I have to say, I am VERY IMPRESSED with the ease of implimentation and training the end users to use this solution.

I would put the success rate in the high 90's. We are still training the system and I expect the system to get better with time.

Regards,

Walter R. Carter
TeleSouth Network Inc