Spammers - How do you deal with them?

neil.studyhost

How do you personally deal with spammers who sign up just to produce spam emails?

Do you operate a zero tolerance policy and terminate straightaway or do you warn them first?

And is there any way of spotting who will be a potential spammer?

It was always my policy to let them know they were spamming and then terminate them. If more hosts had a no tolerance pllicy for spam, there would be a better world.

Purchasing bulk lots of IP's are usually the best warning. I love when some say we are doing e-=mail marketing. Or, they will justify a /20 iwht SSL usage. rofl.

You should have spam filters in place to deal with these type of people. You can also report them to the appropriate site for spam as well. Their ISP will terminate their email in some instances if they are using it for spamming. More tend to use free email yet even Yahoo has email spam report.

It was always my policy to let them know they were spamming and then terminate them. If more hosts had a no tolerance pllicy for spam, there would be a better world.

Purchasing bulk lots of IP's are usually the best warning. I love when some say we are doing e-=mail marketing. Or, they will justify a /20 iwht SSL usage. rofl.

We would usually contact them first, in this occassion the account was terminated with prejudice as it seemed an account bought just to spam.

This is a issue that ties in with the dollar host thread.

Most of the web hosting providers have some of the precautionary measures to stop spammers. These measures include some applications or limits on sending emails on different hosting packages.

I think most of the hosting providers send a warning email to the spammers if an abuse complaint is received. If this is ignored or a complaint is logged once again, the hosting package/server is suspended.

We have a zero tolerance policy and terminate accounts immediately upon verification that they are actually sending spam.

One thing i can tell you that dont register your self with your official email id, you can use any temporary email id for that. Keep you official id for important tasks. When you register yourself with different site, social site and shopping they regularly send you the updates, this is one kind of spam mails

We have a completely zero tolerance policy towards spammers. The first line of defence is the validity of the information provided during signup. We disable emails and databases for all new signups until we've manually reviewed their account and deemed it legit. This is done because we have automatic setup in place. Usually if the info provided is fishy, we will keep their emails disabled for a few days, while we do more research and see what they actually intend to do. If we find that they indeed intend to spam, we suspend their account.

Most spammers are dead obvious from the signup info alone.

Recently dealt with two, suspended, then terminated, done. :) I'm also currently looking at Barracuda stuff for a global inbound/outbound solution to avoid mishaps. But that's costly :(

Zero-Tolerance when the user is sending spam - when a user's account becomes compromised (such as by an outdated script or a bad password) we are more lenient as it wasn't the end user intentionally sending spam.

Many time you get unintentional spam mails, you have to contact with the spammer site and Flag the concern, they take care of it. sometimes if you think that you are getting too much of spam mails from a particular site , block the IP

protection is built in. You should have "require email confirmation" set to yes in the global config. spammers cannot click links so they should never become active, you can just ignore them.