SSD hosting or HDD Hosting?

And|newHOST.ro

Which one is best? actually there is no right or wrong answer. It depends on your needs. The HDD is the traditional hard drive that stores date on platers. The SSD stores data on microchips. Sice the SSD has no moving parts it provides a high transfer speed. the downsize is that they are more expensive. Therefore, if you are looking for somenthing cheaper with a lot of disk space, go for a HDD hosting plan. If you are looking for high performance and the higher cost is not really a problem, then you should go for a SSD hosting plan.

For the vps scenario, since that is a shared environment, SSD is primarily advantageous for host only. It means there is more disk/storage resources (such as I/o) available which means more containers per node. At the end of the day customer has no advantage.

We like to mix up the technologies.

Using flashcache (developed by facebook) you can purchase some relatively small SSDs and some large SAS (or even SATA) drives and join them together in a kind of Hybrid-Drive Scenario, this is what we use on our VPS machines. (2 x SSD, Raid 1 + 4 SAS RAID10)

On shared hosting we SSD for DB temp tables, logfiles, temp files etc (anywhere there is high read/write contention), with HDD for websites files which are mainly static and get cached by the RAM.

It really depends upon the Client budget. SSD is more costly as compare to HDD. No doubt, SSD has fast r/w speed and provides better performance then HDD.

There are several benefits to using SSD’s over traditional storage drives including faster access times, better efficiency, (arguably) improved reliability and just as important, lower power usage helping keep those amps down and electricity (cooling) costs in check for the provider. Using a hybrid of SSD and HDD works well too. I knowSeagate has drives implementing both technologies. So some providers could "technically" be providing SSD's either 100% or the time of some of the time. Cost and performance should be reflected in this...

We have now switched to SSD hosting, and you can tell the difference in loading speeds on forums and such of posting speeds

Depends on the HW raid setup I prefer to have 8 drives on raid10 vs raid1 on 2 sdd..

be careful of hosts using raid1

I agree that it depends on needs. To serve data quickly I would opt for SSD storage. Other applications might be able to save some expense by using cheap storage.

SSD is generally better especially for speed and latency, but it all depends on the quality of the drives. there are some amazing SCSI options with RAID that will blow SSD out of the water.

SSD makes a difference if you make the change on your site hd to SSD. It's helps it in many ways and then if you throw in optimization like cloud flare it's even better. SSD is very good on home computer and when ever you do huge file transfers.

We have been moving towards SSD servers. All of our newer servers in the UK are powered by 100% SSD drives and over time we will be migrating the older servers to these new SSD servers.

In our Dallas location we use SSD drives for MySQL databases.

In terms of just raw storage space per dollar, SSD has a long way to go before it becomes as affordable as traditional platter based drives.

In the mean time, however, it's substantially reduced the number of servers I encounter with high-rpm platters. I don't really see 10k or 15k rpm drives anymore. Consumers seem to prefer SSD over the high RPM drives.

SSD are always a better option compared to SATA which are generally referred as HDD. It gives you a better ready-write speed and improves the overall performance of the server. These drives are generally recommended for resource intensive dynamic sites which have large number of concurrent queries.

Once you go SSD you will not want to go back... :)

We just moved our shared hosting servers to pure SSD and man what a difference.. It has me wanting to build some SSD VPS nodes now and upgrade our current nodes with SSD caching.

I even put them in all my laptops now also.. So I guess I am becoming a SSD junkie now.. :)

SSD is better nowadays but it is highly expensive.

So if it is not affordable then you must try SSD-Cached storage plans which is SSD + HDD.

SSD is needy for lower storage users who mostly needs high speed access to the data. eg - databases

I agree that it depends on needs. To serve data quickly I would opt for SSD storage. Other applications might be able to save some expense by using cheap storage.
SSD is nice, but in my experience it really isn't necessary for most people. It may be preferable for sites under a lot of stress or with a lot of disk activity, but I don't think it's a requirement for the needs of most VPS clients.

I bet 99% of people wouldn't even notice a performance difference between SSD and HDD unless the HDD node is really poorly managed.

Last edited:
SSD is nice for sites that are MySQL heavy. We have seen much faster responses out of scripts like Magento that are extremely MySQL heavy.