SSL Questions

Freckled

Is there anyway of getting the SSL certificate without a DUNN number or prior to getting a DUNN number?

Also for hosting business which really is the best certificate,
And is that certificate also the best one for a shared certificate?

Hey Max, no that won't really work to well for me. I want a really good one that my customers can also use if needed. I just don't want to get the Dunn number till I get the permanent address. Ho hum I will have to put it off until August, I guess I can live with that. Thanks for the tip though may pass it on in the future.

It really doesn't make a difference anymore where you get your SSL cert. It's a commodity nowadays. The original intention was that the certificate was used as a seal of trust, however, everybody knows that SSL is used for encryption, and no-one really cares about the verification.

Getting a real certificate as opposed to generating your own only brings the benefit of preventing the security dialog box from popping up.

Yes and getting one that works on most browsers I guess is an issue as well. I have a few bookmarked for when I become a millionaire. LOL

I don't think it really matters where you get your SSL from these days...
They don't mean too much and most people just like to see the symbol and don't read into it anyway.

Having your own cert might put people off when they see the security warning if they don't know what it means. I really wouldn't mind if a site used a self generated cert though.