Starting a business and using a lawyer

Attorney Jaffe

In the old days, we business lawyers would get a call from a promising entreprenuer when they got to the stage in their start-up when they were ready to lease a brick-and-mortar storefront. When we got that call, we would not only talk about the lease, but introduce the potential client to all the other items that belonged on their new business checklist; business organization (i.e. LLC), sales tax, accounting issues, EIN's, and the list goes on.

In today's Internet world, entreprenuer's don't sign a lease, they buy a domain and a hosting site and their storefront is up and running quickly. However, because they don't need a lawyer to review a lease, they don't realize that they are starting a business without seeking legal representation. There are many items on the new business checklist they don't even know exist.

I get many calls every week from entrepreneurs who are starting an e-commerce site and who want me to help guide their steps. We discuss the domain, their hosting, their merchant account, the Privacy Policy, the TOS, and much more. Generally, these clients will spend less than $1,500 to set up their business and open their web site with sound legal advice.

I am surely not the only lawyer who understand's e-commerce, you have many to choose from. However, I am sure all of them would say that spending some money up front to do things right can save you many thousands of dollars if it is not done right.

It makes me re-think about the way i started some of my startups, these days many ready made templates are available which also prepares us with legal documentation, what is your opinion on that ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting