Stats software

One of the most popular ones on Win2k is DeepMetrix stats server, which was mainly due to it's price a few versions ago plus the fact that it updates all the time (as opposed to a nightly log crunching session). They've released a new version now though, which is more expensive i think (havn't really paid much attention to it) and runs on an embedded version of MySQL (so you can't have it on a server you are already running MySQL on) or MS SQL server (which you need a separate licence for - expensive)
Cheers

Deep Metrix is very cool - expenive though.
We use Webalizer and Analog - as with all things linux orientated, its free ;)

Many people actually prefer Awstats to Webalizer on Linux machines.
I too, agree, that Awstats is better than Webalizer and many, many, clients these days wish for Awstats as well - it has also actually been requested on various occasions to those creating Plesk to switch Webalizer with Awstats.

Who knows, maybe on the next version of Plesk, Awstats will be included. ;)

I'm planning a switch in the near future to AWStats (from webalizer).. I've taken quite a liking to it, and my customers have been been requesting it more frequently as of late.

I've been looking into Urchin lately as well.. I like what I've seen of it so far. Anyone have much experience w/ it?

-Ryan

I've no personal experience with Urchin, however have tried the demo and like it a lot I must say. However, a lot of companies don't allow you have to cPanel and Urchin, one being ServerMatrix.
I'm not sure why though. So if you cannot install it, I'd check with the place you got your servers from beforehand.

We currently use AWStats on RedHat Linux 9. Our clients seem to be quite pleased with it and we have no intention of switching to another stats software. Urchin would be my favorite software. It's quite easy to use and it has a simple graphical stats layout.

Awstats is good, so is urchin - but i found that they both tend to make server loads quite high when they are processing logs for busy sites.

Not a good choice for busy servers!

Just my :twocents: worth :)

stats

After using webalizer and awstats for a long time, we decided to go with SmarterStats by Smartertools. It is not free, but offer extremely accurate stats and in-depth reports. It has reported for everything from CEO's, marketing, webmaster, and even will visually map your visitor, ips, and bandwidth use using a world map.

Anjay said:

I've no personal experience with Urchin, however have tried the demo and like it a lot I must say. However, a lot of companies don't allow you have to cPanel and Urchin, one being ServerMatrix.
I'm not sure why though. So if you cannot install it, I'd check with the place you got your servers from beforehand.

It is possible to install Urchin on Cpanel but there was some problems after they released version 5 i think it was todo with the place/way Cpanel stores its logs.

I used to use urchin but i have found less need for it now its still installed on my Cpanel servers that my clients use but other than that all i need to know is bandwidth consumption.