Subdomains question

Hannah

Hi, nice to meet you all!

I have a question about subdomains which probably will seem an easy one for you guys. :)

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms the benefits of using a subdomain as opposed to a folder? For example,

news.thewebsite.com vs.

thewebsite.com/news

Also, do you need to allot a certain amount of space for the subdomain?

Thanks in advance. :)

Well, one advantage would be that you can host the subdomain on a different server, should the need to do so ever arise.

The main advantage would probably be the apparent separation. If the subdomain's content will be an independent site, it makes sense not to use a folder, even if only for appearances alone. However, in the case of a simple news section, I would probably opt for a folder.

Another advantage may be hosting the subdomain on the same server but under a different user account, so that you could allow others access to the control panel.

Well, one advantage would be that you can host the subdomain on a different server, should the need to do so ever arise.

The main advantage would probably be the apparent separation. If the subdomain's content will be an independent site, it makes sense not to use a folder, even if only for appearances alone. However, in the case of a simple news section, I would probably opt for a folder.

Thanks for replying, ldcdc! I wasn't aware you could do that with a subdomain. Every time I try to read about them I get confused, but then it doesn't take much! :rolleyes2

The news was one way I was thinking of using it, yes, but as you say a folder may be best then.

Another advantage may be hosting the subdomain on the same server but under a different user account, so that you could allow others access to the control panel.

Good point, brianf, thank you for that. I have had a friend hint about me letting them use some space but to be honest I didn't want them to be able to dig around the back end. I haven't made my mind up about that yet.

another advantage is for SEO purpose. Link to sub.domain.com is usually better than domain.com/sub

Thanks, gate2vn! That's news to me too. I'm pretty ignorant about SEO and am always glad to hear any tips on it.

Thanks again, everyone, that was very helpful and much appreciated. :)

I'd like to ask one more thing please. If you were adding a forum to a site, which way do you think would be the best to go, subdomain or folder?

If I were unsure about it at all, I'd go with the subdomain. That way you can always move it to another server, or another account. A simple folder would not allow this without extra work.

Install the forum to a folder and then link to it via the sub domain. So when you typed in http://www.forum.mydoman.com it would be linked the the /forum directory on the server.

That way you get the best of both worlds :D

Last edited:
That way you get the best of both worlds
I'm not exactly sure I follow the setup you're describing, but, since SEO was mentioned earlier, it's worth to mention that search engines don't like duplicate content. It's thus best if the same content can be accessed via a single URL.

But you can use a subdomain to separate out content that is completely different, it will avoid the duplicate issue.

Install the forum to a folder and then link to it via the sub domain. So when you typed in http://www.forum.mydoman.com it would be linked the the /forum directory on the server.
This may create some problems as some control panels will create the folder forum on the public_html directory for the subdomain http://www.forum.mydomain.tld. Additionally, if you install the forum on the folder and later decide you need separate control panel access you would be faced with a reinstall. There's no downside to using the subdomain versus a folder, with the possible exception of a set number of subdomains allowed per account.

Subdomain or folder doesnt make much of a differnce. Probably subdomain is a slightly better idea. I dont think SEO advanatage exists any more, still atleast you got a little bit of scalability with it. It sounds slightly mor eprofessional too, to have a subdomain for the forum.

Thank you all again for taking the time to respond to me!

Brianf, Rob, ldcdc, bobchrist and alemcherry, you've given me a lot to digest there and think over. Overall it sounds to me like a subdomain would be the best option for a forum and I'm definitely leaning towards that. It simply sounds like it'd be the least problematic solution.

I'll do a bit more reading on it all and see if I can grasp it more this time around. I know I'll understand it a lot better than I did before this thread, that's for sure! :)

Thanks again to everyone, you guys were a fantastic help and I'm very grateful.

Hi, nice to meet you all!

I have a question about subdomains which probably will seem an easy one for you guys. :)

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms the benefits of using a subdomain as opposed to a folder? For example,

news.thewebsite.com vs.

thewebsite.com/news

Also, do you need to allot a certain amount of space for the subdomain?

Thanks in advance. :)

The most significant reason I would imagine is the seperation you can create with it. whatever is in your sub domain may not be associated with whats in your main domain