Take a class or follow a tutorial?

KatyDid

Would you recommend that a person new to web design take a formal class, whether on college level or otherwise, or simply follow a tutorial? If you recommend a tutorial, is there one online or in book form that is good?

While I had done a good bit of learning on my own and with the help of friends, I did take a web design course at the local college a few years back.

Speaking for myself, I would suggest that everyone do some learning on their own before they take any sort of class for it.

Not only will it help the class work better for you, but it's always a good practice to learn on your own a bit.

Thank you for the replies. I am really wanting to learn web design, but for some reason I just can't seem to figure it out on my own. I am usually quick to learn anything, especially on the computer. I don't really know what my problem is, other than my toddler son sure does make me tired! lol

I agree that taking a class is better above and beyond anything else. You will benefit from having a basic grasp of HTML, but you can't pick up all that you need from a tutorial.