Televised Commercials - in the past?

21Roses

I was just thinking about how advertising has changed over the last decade or so, and it seems like online advertising (being cheaper and often more efficient) is rapidly becoming the top dog. The only host I can recall seeing an ad spot for on TV is GoDaddy, and they specifically target the tech-impaired. I can't imagine ever buying commercial time, mostly because I don't think I'd be able to afford it. Online ad networks have been a Godsend for small businesses.

I agree. TV ads can be expensive. GoDaddy targets the tech-impaired? I hadn't noticed. LOL. Online ads are leveling the playing field, so that's a very very good thing.

Want to do TV Advertising but don't have the budget to setup a campaign direct with a local tv company? Talk to google ;) The same wonderful people that brought us the Adwords, also do RADIO and TV spots! You bid, they fill the timeslots. I haven't used the radio or tv myself, but some of my clients have and they love it. minimal investment for high yield return.

HostGator is going to start doing TV commercials. It makes me laough because everyone rushed online to build hosting companies and use ad networks. Now we are all rushing back to TV and radio. Its like a circle.

I think really that it depends on the market that you are in, the cost of the ad compared to the available resources and whether you have cornered a local niche. If you won't reach your potential customers then there's no point.

AbbieRose - I am a strong believer, that everyone is a potential customer. Every person and business needs it. It is simply providing it to them in a method they understand they need it. TV commercials are pretty affordable through Google TV.

Google Audio & Google Print no longer exist. They discontinued it, earlier this year.

What sort of a budget do you need before you can really consider any type of TV campaign? I'm sure this is highly variable, but I'm wondering if anyone knows a rough estimate for a minimum cost.

Also, I'm a little confused regarding the Google TV ads. Do these air on cable/local television, or online video clips?

Budgets don't have to be huge, however if you're expecting high yield from 10 spots running, you'd be VERY lucky.

Here's information on the google TV Ads;
http://www.google.com/adwords/tvads/

You can even tailor the ads down to specific TV shows that are running in certain times etc.

When I was a marketing director I ran hundreds of TV Spots within a 30 day period, and thousands of spots on radios. I'd usually buy 20 spots on a particular radio station per day, however depending on their advertisers, sometimes the spot could run 25 times. Multiply that by usually 5 stations in each market and 15 days, there was a lot of time our spot was on air. New spot every 2 weeks for 20 weeks during the summer.

Now, with google, you'd be using filler time and wouldn't need to outline such a huge campaign (unless you wanted to blanket the airwaves). Being able to choose your time segments and particular stations will help narrow down demographics to your target audience. It's so much better this way than having to negotiate contract rates with execs!

For hosting it doesn't pay to advertise on TV, due to the high costs alone. But if you were able to afford it then you would be one of the few to do so, and would make a lot of people consider only you the next time they need web hosting. Online marketing is a lot more difficult to get results from.

Budgets don't have to be huge, however if you're expecting high yield from 10 spots running, you'd be VERY lucky.

Here's information on the google TV Ads;
http://www.google.com/adwords/tvads/

You can even tailor the ads down to specific TV shows that are running in certain times etc.

When I was a marketing director I ran hundreds of TV Spots within a 30 day period, and thousands of spots on radios. I'd usually buy 20 spots on a particular radio station per day, however depending on their advertisers, sometimes the spot could run 25 times. Multiply that by usually 5 stations in each market and 15 days, there was a lot of time our spot was on air. New spot every 2 weeks for 20 weeks during the summer.

Now, with google, you'd be using filler time and wouldn't need to outline such a huge campaign (unless you wanted to blanket the airwaves). Being able to choose your time segments and particular stations will help narrow down demographics to your target audience. It's so much better this way than having to negotiate contract rates with execs!

Leave it to Google to do it once again. Are they taking over the world as we know it? Just kidding, but it sure seems like tomorrow I will be renting a house from Google and not Joe Blow.

AbbieRose - I am a strong believer, that everyone is a potential customer. Every person and business needs it.

I understand fully what you are getting at, and yet I am not quite sure that I agree. The 83 year old granny who lives up my street doesn't need my web design services for instance, and there is very little chance that in their lifetime that they will.

Nor will the fellow web designer. There are definite markets and niches, and some people that I don't think you will be able to sell to.

I understand fully what you are getting at, and yet I am not quite sure that I agree. The 83 year old granny who lives up my street doesn't need my web design services for instance, and there is very little chance that in their lifetime that they will.

Nor will the fellow web designer. There are definite markets and niches, and some people that I don't think you will be able to sell to.

She will if she owns a business or wants to have something to show off to the family!

The web designer will too if they get overloaded with work.

The possibilities are truly endless and everyone is truly a prospective customer. I know this for a fact because I writer for other writers at time as well, it just goes to show that when it comes down to it, business is business.

She will if she owns a business or wants to have something to show off to the family!

The web designer will too if they get overloaded with work.

The possibilities are truly endless and everyone is truly a prospective customer. I know this for a fact because I writer for other writers at time as well, it just goes to show that when it comes down to it, business is business.

Thank You! Many have a hard time with the concept that everyone is a potiential customer. Doesn't matter how much or how little money, what6's thier name is, or what they want they are a customer.

I have seen a lot of sales people write off sales because of age, race (I know its not right but I have seen it), gender, etc. There was a sales rep who wrote off a five line scell phone deal because they guy had a $750.00 deposit. Guess what the guy had crappy credit, and he was in overhauls just out of the field, but he pulled cash out of his wallet.

There are 90 year old ppl on facebook and myspace.

Oh certainly, I mean my aunt is 83 and on facebook all the time and just loves being able to connect with people. So yes, I guess I do struggle with the concept that anyone is a potential customer, but how does one really manage to market to every person in the world at the same time? It seems easier to market to particular groups as each would have differing needs.

It amounts to opening up one's mind. Limit yourself and see a smaller potential, don't have boundaries and see a bigger potential.

I've often heard from weight lifters that pushing past plateaus is mostly mental. The same applies in business. The odds are that you won't achieve phenomenal success unless you think big. You may still be successful, but never maximize your potential.

I've often heard from weight lifters that pushing past plateaus is mostly mental. The same applies in business. The odds are that you won't achieve phenomenal success unless you think big. You may still be successful, but never maximize your potential.

Your post reminded me of the phrase "think outside of the box" for some reason. This is priceless when it comes to running any type of business.

In business, you have to think core focus. I've seen many businesses go under because they took on too much debt load trying to expand or be everything to everybody. Thinking out of the box is important, measured against the framework of your abilities. I read recently that using the term, "thinking outside of the box" was very bad to put on your resumes - because it's so commonly misused. What works very well for us are networking alliances - trading services and leads.

In business, you have to think core focus. I've seen many businesses go under because they took on too much debt load trying to expand or be everything to everybody. Thinking out of the box is important, measured against the framework of your abilities. I read recently that using the term, "thinking outside of the box" was very bad to put on your resumes - because it's so commonly misused. What works very well for us are networking alliances - trading services and leads.

Interesting how something so simple, can be taken out of the box. With the economy how it is, many businesses have reeled in their outside the box thinkers. In sales it makes it difficult because at one time when you could throw a little bit of spice in it, your now stuck playing the game within the company policies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting