Test & Critique a new Web Hosting Directory

Olternit

URL: http://www.HostComb.com/

Brief description: HostComb is a completely unbiased web directory. The Featured Hosts on the front page are entirely randomly generated and this also applies to the listing.

How you can help: We have just completed programming and designing HostComb earlier this evening and would like to invite all of you to test it out. Having just finished the code hours ago we can only assume that there may be errors found here and there. Please, if you find an error respond here with your web browser, operating system, and a description of the error.

Additionally, we welcome positive feedback, so please take a moment to respond here whether you like the website and why or why not.

Thank you for your time!

Very nice site. I registered however when you register there is a spelling mistake, "SSL Availible" is that sopposed to say SSL Available? ;)

Oh, when you use the "name search engine" I get this error:

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/hostcomb/public_html/search.php on line 46

Something else ;) When you register you don't receive the activation email, need that to continue with the registration.

Wow... what a page load speed. I love it.

As for the site, its very well programmed and navigation is easy. The colors are great, but just try and make another logo or something to add more exclusive look to the site.

You say it is unbiased, yet you have your company listed first in the browse category. It would be hard to remain unbiased level when you run hosting business and in fact when you start selling advertising, if it is in your plans. It would be real hard to do.

I like this one:
http://www.hostcomb.com/view_profile.php?host_id=5

"We rule. Buy from us today." Then you go to their site and it gives you a complete page database error. Good for a smile. ;)

Olternit, I love the environment. People will definitely return to your site once again.

Best,
Artashes

Astahes,

Thanks for the comments.

As for Olternit showing up first on browse. That's just because we've set it up in standard browse just to go by "id" for the time being. We're working on randomizing that as well. It is definitely not my intent to promote Olternit there. We do have the "Featured Hosts" random already.

As for the logo. I designed it and I agree it is not too eye-catching, but I think it's simple and clear. I'll take your idea to heart, though, and maybe look to change it.

Again, thanks for the comments.

EDIT: We're going to be adding reviews/ratings and that'll determine "browse" ranking.

Last edited:
Here are some errors that I found:

When you try to edit your profile and connection field it doesn't update another words, it doesn't change it stays the same.

Also when using the search thing, it doesn't search it just says "No matches found".

Thought I would let you know ;)

Editing details aren't working for you? Hmmm... what browser? OS?

The basic search is for searching my company name.

I use IE 6. Basically, when I click on advanced search and click certain options, it doesn't bring back anything just "no matches found".

CS_Jonathan said:
I use IE 6. Basically, when I click on advanced search and click certain options, it doesn't bring back anything just "no matches found".
Even if you do something basic like just searching for a Unix host?

CS_Jonathan said:
I stand corrected, it does search for certain things however if you check lots of options it doesn't search.
That's just because there's no host that fits those request. As more hosts sign up, etc., the search results will show up for them if they offer the required fields.

Well, I checked all of the options that my company offers and it didn't come up. Also the profile update form works, well it changes however it doesn't change on the actual profile page.

I just clicked all the options you offer and performed a seach and it brought me directly to your profile. Basically, if you are the only host to offer everything that the searcher is looking for then it brings them directly to your profile. Can you double check for me that that does not work for you?

I'll now check into the updating of your profile.

Update:

We logged into your account and were able to successfully update things in your profile (of course we reset them). We checked everything except for updating your password as we did not want to change that. Can you double check this too, please? Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikstrahost