theplanet.com

inverthost.com

theplanet.com :thumbup:

Great service, we use them for our webhosting!

Just though I'd give a small tip. Check them our for more info.

Do you think it's worth the money you pay? How has customer support been when you needed them? If you tried other datacenters, how do they compare?

Just some questions you should answer to give people looking for a new datacenter a more detailed review.

I'm interested in knowing how ThePlanet/ServerMatrix compares to NAC/15minuteservers in terms of uptime and quality of service (support and transfer speeds). If anybody has used both of these as of lately I'd greatly appreciate their input.

Well, in regards to NAC, We use them, and I can say that they have been doing extremely well throughout the entire past year.

ThePlanet is a great DC. When we used them, we never had any network, or server issues. However, we did have some billing issues they were unwilling to help with (as it worked out in their favor).

The Planet Inc is stretched over such as long line it is really amazing.
Just starting from 1 Office with a few people now owning, maintaining 3 Data Centers.

On Top of that providing services which customer needs.

Hey Guys,

I am glad that you have all had a great experience with them. I have never used them. However, I do read on many forums that they have issues with their networks and services often. Is this true? Do you see network downtime and server downtime? Is support good?

We have never had any problems with The Planet's network or servers. Their support is great also. There are always there to answer the phone within 2 rings. All in all, The Planet is a great DC.

Well not to be an ass or anything but ThePlanet sucks compared to before. When I first bought a few dedicateds from them they were a pretty small company. Now that they have 128739137213 customers they just treat you as a number now. Their tech support is a hit or miss compared to before, and their sales team isnt as smart as the old days. I miss the good ol 2002 Theplanet.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but think abouit it. With thousands of customers, it is kind of hard to treat each and every customer with a "personal touch." When you end up with 5,000 customers, you will see what I mean. I'm not saying they are perfect (although I've had no problems), but they do a darn good job in my opinion.

Not too fond of thePlanet. I used them for a short time when we I was with another company and I had nothing but problems. Their support started out good but slowly started slacking and problems kept rising up. The constant downtime and also the inability to handle our billing issue cause us to move. We are now with a new company and are very happy with our decision.

*Note: I am not in any way bashing thePlanet or their services. I have had bad experiences with them on more than one occasion and it has scared me :-D.

The constant downtime
I doubt that ThePlanet as a whole had anything close to "constant downtime", so I would like to know more regarding your experience with them. What was the cause of your server's downtime?

I overdid it with the "constant download" usage, but it seemed like we went down a couple too many times. The original time we used them we had some downtime and took them a while to get back with me through support (this is why I am not happy with their support). Also, when they do respond they are not very helpful with thier answers (mostly generic, not very specific, and forget it if you ask them to do something for you). I believe we had downtime (not caused by us) about 4 or 5 times during our stay with them (4 month period). Even though this may seem like nothing, 3 unexplained downtimes are not a means for keeping my business. Hope this helps you understand this better.

I guess we just had bad luck.

Yes, the added info is quite helpful. 3 downtimes were unexplained if I understand correctly, but I'm curious to know which were the causes for the other 1-2 downtimes you've experienced.

Interesting story. A friend of mine who claimed he was really good at maintaining servers told me he would keep an eye on our server and stuff if we gave him so space in return. Seemed like a fair trade for now, so we did. Unfortunately he was not as good has he claimed to be, but I trusted him anyway as a friend. Long story short, he basically messed around and the server went down twice in the same day. When I asked him what happened, he claimed it was theplanet, but I later found out he lied and he really caused it, after hours of probing him. Needless to say hired a real server tech, and still had downtime issues, which I believe were caused by theplanet. But now that I think about it, I have no way of knowing for sure because they never answered my support tickets, and after about a couple days, I left their services.

No problem, like I said I am not about bashing any company unless they are extremely arrogant (not naming any names; legal dispute), but theplanet overall are good guys, just had a bad luck of the run I suppose.

I agree with ldcdc, I do not like the Planet too much. I have talked with a lot of others about this and everyone agrees that their support isn't all that good. By not being good I mean not very knowledgable. Sure they are there 24/7 and answer the phones but most of the time they didn't know what they were doing. I remember one instance when they "accidentally" deleted the boot dir from one of our servers, and never really admitted to it.

From what I remember, there was only one person who actually helped me and knew what they were doing. Her name was Karen. She was, indeed, a terrific gal. Right on the money every time.

They also constantly had downtime for me as well, complaining that there were hacking attempts going on from our servers, when in fact, we were testing the firewalls, and we notified them about it. So, our servers got shut off without warning and took some time to get back up and running. I know that I'll probably get ripped for the above statement, but we always monitor our servers, using our own tech staff who have been around for a while.

Anyway, maybe I am one of the very few who has had problems there, but since I moved to a different DC, it has been 100% better in terms of uptime, support and reliability.

I would not recommend them.

You guys do know that there are a few employees there that are students, such as Klaude was when I was there (one year ago). I mean having fresh out of school students isn't basically what we call a senior administrator these days but I found him to be a very good asset to their support team. I don't think that their support honestly is given the proper training, I mean the first server I ordered a FreeBSD box and they installed Linux partitions o_O...What's even more is that they argued that the partitions were right when I knew they goofed. Then they tried to charge me for a reinstallation it was pretty sad and hence I moved away from there pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1hosting