Toll Free numbers on mobile?

d4hosting

Is it possible to get a toll-free number on a mobile phone? I have been looking at several 800 number providers, and have found nothing in FAQ or forums about being able to add toll free number to a cellphone.

I am a student, and thus cannot have business calls sent to the house. I currently do not offer any phone support at all, but would like to add it. This is why I need it on a cellphone - to offer support 24/7 and not have anyone bothered by phones ringing in the house.

Any insight into this is greatly appreciated!

Oh....

Well, I was looking at getting a cell phone as well :) Never have had one, and support for customers would be my main thing.... Would I need an actual phone to receieve calls before they are forwarded? And have you ever seen or do you know of any provider that gives the toll free service right out the box? (like if I buy a phone, can I get an 800 number with it right then and there...)

Cheers

the provider can just forward it to a phone thats typically how they work anyways. I don't know of any cell phone service that gives you an 1800 number. but like I stated there are plenty of 1-800 service providers out there. just do research on them on some other message boards as well this one WHT etc...

And before you get a cell phone do your research on the companies. A lot of people get a cell phone because it's cool and forgets about the service. most GSM networks are not good at all. Here in California Verizon Wireless is the best (rated #1 4 years in a row by JD Power & Associates)

d4hosting said:
Is it possible to get a toll-free number on a mobile phone? I have been looking at several 800 number providers, and have found nothing in FAQ or forums about being able to add toll free number to a cellphone.

I am a student, and thus cannot have business calls sent to the house. I currently do not offer any phone support at all, but would like to add it. This is why I need it on a cellphone - to offer support 24/7 and not have anyone bothered by phones ringing in the house.

Any insight into this is greatly appreciated!

Yes, it's possible to have your 1 800 number forwarded to your mobile phone. Actually, some providers can redirect calls going to your toll free number to at much as 3 locations simultaneously. Try Tollfreeexpress.

DigitalCaravan said:
... do your research on the companies. ...

Best advice you could receive. I have 2 friends with 800 numbers for their businesses. Both of them can have the calls go to their cellphones when necessary. One got an 800 that he pays a set price per call for. The other has a number that is charged by the minute ... and its costing him lots of $$$. Also ... with both friends ... if its redirected to their cells and they happen to be out of the area they get charged long distance on top of it.

So again ... do your research.

Good luck
Peter

PS ... my friends & myself are all in Canada ... so different countries ... different rules ... maybe.

From a design point of view, I love net2phone.com's website...good lord! Can I have on of those to?

Forwading to a cell phone eats up your cell phone minutes, causing a potentially expensive overage charge each month.

If you have a broadband connection you might want to look into Vonage as an alternative to forwarding to a cell phone. For less than $30 monthly you can get unlimited local and long distance and an 800 number. There is also the option to forward your number if you are going to be away and want your calls to follow you.

Yes and in that case net2phone will help you a lot ... just check its features and really with some good affordable price ... I have tried it ... :)

I'm surprised that no one here has recommended Kall8. Kall8 has pretty good toll-free solutions. They let you forward calls to any phone number that you want, and have lots of other good features. I won't waste your time here. But, here's the link to Kall8.

Last edited:
I recommend Kall8, good services and they also forward to any number you choose either cell phone, home phone, or work phone.

A few years ago (like in 1998-2002) NEXTEL did offer TOLL FREE CELL PHONE numbers. These were apparently not overlays, but genuine toll free cell phone numbers as part of a mobile wireless plan. A couple colleagues still have them grandfathers. I called Nextel anxious about it last year, but they have discontinued the plan. I have to say it is awesome to receive calls from their cell phones, and the caller ID shows them calling from an 800 #, it appears so professional!

With 800# forwarding, you are essentially paying double, since you are paying for the 800 # call time plus the cell phone call time. Aside from off-peak minutes, that call add up to a double wammy of a bill, no matter how "cheap" the 800# portion may be.

Hope to see Nextel/Sprint or some other carrier offer it in the future! Anyway, I know thats enough of me treading in the past :rolleyes:

Thanks for the information motoloca, I didn't know that. I have never been a fan of Nextel or their service as it fails in most people in certain areas of the US and also out of the US all the time. I have been with Verizon for a while. But anyway...

I am thinking of Kall8, but has anyone else has experiences with them, I have looked at other place too, but I am not sure what my partner wants to do, but he has some in mind too. Anymore recommendations would be appreciated.