Ubuntu Linux

gooooogle

I've finally found my Linux distro. It's Ubuntu linux. It's great. The whole thing fits on one cd, unlike Fedora and SUSE which are five cd's. Who needs all that software anyway. Not me. The best thing about it is that you can get cd's sent to you for free anywhere in the world. I recieved my Ubuntu cd's in the post a few days ago. I live in Norway and it came from the Netherlands. I didn't pay anything for them. The pack contained the newest copy of Ubuntu both install and live cd for x86, 64-bit and PPC processors. 6 cd's in all. You only actually use one for installation of course, but I decided to get all three packs as I was going to use it on an x86 system, but I also have an old PPC computer I would like to test it on and I'll be buying a new computer in not to long from now so I might be getting a 64-bit one.

Anyway, take a look, www.ubuntu.com.

P.S. If you use some other Linux distro, please do tell.

gooooogle said:
P.S. If you use some other Linux distro, please do tell.

I use Debian, have used it for years on my own development systems, no problems, usually run for at least 6 months without reboot (then it's usually environmental issues or hardware upgrades causing the reboot)

I have to sleep in the same room as my computer which means that I turn it off every night. But ubuntu is the only distro that has been capable of using my Belkin WiFi card without a problem. SUSE simply wouldn't see it.

Also I prefer the way Ubuntu handles root acount by giving the regular user root access using the command line. Much nicer to be able to just go into the terminal and type your password for root instead of having to log out and inn, although I hear that quite a few of the modern Linux distros do this now. Still, it's quite nice.

I need to format my PC soon and rebuild it... I am tempted to give this a test drive on a dual boot setup.

Well if you are going to do dual boot there is one thing you must remember. Install Windows FIRST. It will save you from all kinds of problems. When you install Linux afterwards it will set up GRUB and so on but if you do windows as your second os it wont be that easy as Microsoft has tailored their installer to expect the user to only run Windows.

Google are planning their own version of Ubuntu.

I used Debian once. Loved the OS - hated what it did to my laptop. Didn't play well with Windows as a second OS.

Google have confirmed that they use a tailor built Linux OS built on Ubuntu called Gubuntu, or something like that, but they won't be making it public. It's simply tailored to make work at their offices easier and publishing it makes no sense they say.

And yes ubuntu is based on Debian.

I briefly used ubuntu, but then switched back to windows, I guess I don't like being out of my comfort zone, when I get a little more patient, I'll build a system around ubuntu.

I dual booted my Acer laptop to SUSE a while back. It was very different to Windows (as I expected) and like rwaforums said it was out of my comfort zone. I could easily like it if I put more time into it, transfered all my documents, emails and media etc. I'd sooner go to SUSE/Ubuntu before Vista because of DRMs. I managed to get my laptop WiFi working using SUSE but I couldn't get access to my windows shares on other machines. I was just lacking time and patience. I'll get there one day.