Unused Hosting

purple

I know many hosts allow you to purchase hosting by 3 month, 6 month, and year terms (and possibly multi-year terms) but should you decide to switch part way through your term and have no option for refund, or they refuse one can you sub-let your hosting to someone else? Don't ask me why I was thinking of this today, maybe I lived near NYC too long (lots of people sublet apartments in the city).

It would probably depend on the host. Your best bet is probably just to ask them.

I mean, I don't see a problem with it. The account information would probably change right away to reflect the new owner, but if they're paying the future invoices, why not!

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as the new site didn't violate my TOS and AUP. I would be concerned as to why the customer wanted to change hosts though. I'd want a chance to fix whatever issue made the customer want to move.

Russ

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as the new site didn't violate my TOS and AUP. I would be concerned as to why the customer wanted to change hosts though. I'd want a chance to fix whatever issue made the customer want to move.

Russ

Agreed.

If it’s a matter of outgrowing your current plan, you may be able to upgrade rather than switching.

All the best.

I don't see any issue in allowing another user to take over your account. As long as they don't violate the terms of service of the host then there should be no issue.

I think that the main priority for the hosting company will be getting the money in. So long as they are doing that I am sure that they will be happy-the only problem for them would be unfulfilled potential, empty space on the server that could be being used.

:) Assume the host just doesn't meet your requirements, or gets bought out and you don't like the new owners or something that can't be changed due to personal feelings. I know most people here would fix the issue or I could upgrade if I needed a bigger plan, but for instance if the hosting company called me an idiot for asking a simple questions due to my not having used something before I might want to move without trying to fix their rudeness. But if I paid for a years service I would miss out on that money and they would provide no service.

Sounds promising that I may be able to use it somehow though.

I would also think that the main concern of the host would be getting their money. I don't see any reason why you could not transfer your account to someone else as long as they agreed and stuck to the TOS of the host.

I offer refunds on unused hosting; but I do allow clients to transfer their accounts to someone else - particularly in cases where a site is popular, is managed by several people, but only one person at a time is in charge of paying the cost.

I ask them to submit a support ticket and tell me who the new "owner" will be, I ask them when they want the cutover date to be set, and I then email the new person (and cc the old person) asking them to sign up for billing before the cutover date. This also gives me an opportunity to make sure that the new person knows the TOS and agrees to be bound by it, knows about the affiliate plan and has the proper links in place, and is otherwise satisfied with the current hosting plan. It lets me make contact with the new person, assess their needs, and see if there's another solution that might be a better fit (whether upgrading or downgrading). They also appreciate getting a chance to learn what resources are available to them, both in terms of support and alternate hosting options with us.

I personally do not allow "subleasing" all or a portion of a hosting account. That just leaves too many possibilities for problems: the new owner doesn't have a clear line into support, if the new owner doesn't pay or violates the TOS the old owner is still the account-holder-of-record and is thus responsible, et cetera.

Last edited:
I can see the risks involved with subleasing, and it seems like you have covered your bases as far as not losing income, whilst not assuming those risks is concerned.

Can I ask-do you make those terms known at the outset of the agreement so that people aren't tempting to do it themselves?

I can see the risks involved with subleasing, and it seems like you have covered your bases as far as not losing income, whilst not assuming those risks is concerned.

Can I ask-do you make those terms known at the outset of the agreement so that people aren't tempting to do it themselves?

Scribehost's TOS/AUP written to specifically bar subleasing all or part of their hosting space, for all shared accounts. There's a FAQ specifically about this very question in the client support area: it asks if users can sell all or part of their web space, or transfer the account completely to another user. The answer points back to the TOS/AUP and outlines what steps a client can take if they wish to transfer their account to a different user.

There are a good many sites that do straight monthly hosting package plans so I dont see a reason in finding one. The weeding out the ones that would suit you best would be the hard part on it, but it can be done.

In addition, many of the better web hosts now offer a pro-rated refund for the unused portion of the hosting plan that you signed up for.

Get it LET!

I know many hosts allow you to purchase hosting by 3 month, 6 month, and year terms (and possibly multi-year terms) but should you decide to switch part way through your term and have no option for refund, or they refuse one can you sub-let your hosting to someone else? Don't ask me why I was thinking of this today, maybe I lived near NYC too long (lots of people sublet apartments in the city).

I absolutely dont see why not, at the end of the day the host doesnt know who is sat at the other end of the computer connection using the account do they?

Go for it, recoup your losses, and for all new aspiring hosts - CHECK the TOS!!!