Upstart

KatyDid

What do you think about beginning your business by doing websites for friends (who are small business owners) in exchange for the word of mouth they may be able to generate and the ability to add these sites to a virtual portfolio?

I've done a little bit of this. Just like anything else, it can have good results if done properly. If not done properly...well, results are mixed. It depends on what kind of connections they have, and what kind of referrals they may bring to the table.

If a person has lots of connections and is of the mind that they'd rather do business with known associates, then there's a good chance for payoff if they like the service you provide AND have associates whom they can refer. If they don't really care much about where they get their hosting/design/development, and/or don't show a huge history of social networking, you might be better off using another source to build your portfolio...or just write off any work you do for that customer under the heading of "advertising". (Actually, you could do this for all of your portfolio-building clients. Doing this can also give you practice at valuing your services.)

If you choose this route, don't let this be the only way to get your business started. It's certainly one method - but just like any other advertising, you shouldn't just use one form. (If nothing else, if this doesn't work out well, you will still be using other ways of starting things off. One of them might be more effective.)

Good luck!!

...and another thing. (Coffee kicked in.)

Since you plan to use these sites to build a virtual portfolio, try and vary the style and scope of the sites. That varies your v.portfolio, gives you practice, and helps ensure that you don't end up creating dozens and dozens of the same type of site with no financial return. You want to advertise, not become a one-stop shop for free sites...not even for local small businesses.

You might also want to consider a mixture of barter and donated site creation/development. That can get you goods or services you need for your business, or things you want for yourself. I traded services with a chiropractor at one point. It helped my back, and my local word-of-mouth, fairly well.

Thanks for the great advice Leslie! I will certainly keep it in mind. What would you recommend as a good form of regular advertising in a small town? We have a local daily paper with a rather poor reputation, a daily free newsletter-type-of paper that is popular, no truly local tv stations, etc. Thanks again!!

Er...

Do you have a chamber of commerce? Perhaps they have a newsletter.

Flyers at the local stores might work.

That daily free newsletter-thing sounds potentially popular.

Are there any local festivals or celebrations, or fairs or carnivals? Think about regularly volunteering to help out - gets you known - and wear a tee shirt or patch or hat with your company's name on it - gets your company/services known.

(Sorry - I've never lived outside major metro areas, so I'm kind of guessing.)

Are there any other small towns somewhat nearby? You might think about advertising there, as well.

Do something that makes you stick out. It's all about creating a Niche for yourself. Getting away from doing what every one else is doing

Definitely a good idea in theory, as long as they have a number of contacts. Doing a mini affiliate program for your friends would definitely further the incentive.