using my own domain for name servers...

cr0wn3r

Just wanted to check I'm setting my DNS up right.

I usually have domain names with a registra that provides name servers, so I use the registra's control panel to manage the A / Cname / MX etc records.

Currently though, I have a site on a VPS, from a company that doesnt provide nameservers, and a domain name with a registra that doesnt provide name servers. Great...

So I think in order to set this up I need to:

At the domain name registra, set the nameservers for my websites domain name (my website will be www.mydomain.com) to

ns1.mydomain.com
ns2.mydomain.com

set the child name servers to

ns1.mydomain.com - IP.of.my.VPS.server
ns2.mydomain.com - IP.of.my.VPS.server

Then tell my vps that it is a name server through WHM (somehow?) and set up A records pointing ns1 and ns2 to the main mydomain.com record.

Is this right?

And any tips on specifically how do I go about the last section of getting the right settings in to WHM so that it acts as a name server as well as serving a website on the same domain name would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:
What you're doing is right in line for what many people do. The downfall being that if one of your nameservers stop working for whatever reason, if they're on the same machine BOTH stop working which means that your sites won't display. Nameservers stopping in cPanel is actually a fairly common event minimum of once per month sometimes more frequently depending on what is being done on the nameserver side of things.

So you'll setup the information in your WHM and assign the IP number (under the section for Setup Nameservers). With the IP numbers that it provides you then go to your registrar and tell it that ns1.mydomain.com points to whatever IP number.

Getting the domain name to use the nameservers on the server will basically mean you just change the nameserver information on the domain name itself to no longer use your hosts nameservers and instead use your own. You should also setup A Records for the nameservers, this will be done when you go through the Nameserver Setup section in WHM.

Final part would be under the Main WHM Configuration where you would change the default nameservers to use.

That should be it.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I've got it working now along the lines discussed, though I do see the potential issue of having everything sat on the same server, nameservers and all.

@thewebedge - I'm using a control panel on the VPS - cpanel / whm. Then just the text fields to fill in on the registra's site.