/usr is full-- What does it mean?

The partition that holds your /usr filesystem has run out of space :)

Depending on how you are configured, your system will probably continue to run OK for a while. Get your sysadmin to sort it out ASAP

Are you on a shared server or is it your own box ?

/usr is one of the file systems that holds many of the user owned executable or data files.

Any part of the file system being full is bad regardless of the OS type.

If it's a shared box, then get your host to resolve this ASAP, if it's your own, then it's time to get a sysadmin to look it over.

Sorry for all the newbie questions...

I am on a shared envioroment...

How does the file system become full?

If you're on a shared environment, then I'd suggest perhaps reviewing who you host with. Do you have a normal Cpanel (or other panel) type of account or do you have a VPS (with root access) ? If you're on a VPS, then it's your job to manage this, if not, then your host should take care of this.

The file system will fill up if it's not properly managed or is sized incorrectly. There's possibly log files being written there and no purge routine. Without seeing the system it's not possible to suggest the exact cause.

Generally a full file system is a sign of pending doom :(

Thanks for replying.

The issue has been resolved.

But just wondering if this hints at overselling?

Thanks.

You'd need to checkout the server stats to know this.

whois.sc will tell you how many sites are hosted on the server. If you know the specs, then this may give you your answer.

whois.sc will tell you how many sites are hosted on the server. If you know the specs, then this may give you your answer.

I don't think it does.
I think whois.sc also includes the add-on and parked domains and shows them as a hosted site, when they actually aren't using any resources (Not really ;))

I know I have lots of customers that have add-on and parked domains.
My own sites have around 10 add-on/parked domains.

Can add up a fair bit when you think about it, so whois.sc doesn't give a number that is very helpful without knowing that.
I use the site a lot, but don't use it for that because of it counting those.

John

Not a good sign at all if it is full and you are on shared hosting.
Are you able to check what size the partition is?
Maybe they haven't setup the server config very well and not given enough to /usr

You should contact them ASAP and let them know just incase they haven't noticed, a lot of companies wouldn't check the disk usage on all servers.