Very basic questions on web hosting

Jman

Hi all,

This is my first post on this site. I've got a few questions that I'm hoping will enhance my novice entrepreneurial mindset. Maybe move me from kindergarten to 3rd grade in understanding web hosting. :)

Briefly - I currently have 2 to 3 domains on shared server through ix Webhosting and SiteGround. I'm designing / have designed 3 to 7 websites on subdomains, and this includes blogs and forums I've installed / configured. My desire is to be a web service company, providing GeoWeb and traditional web services.

I'm looking to have better understanding of some of the basics that go into web hosting, while getting human interaction going, which I hope enhances my practical understanding. I've done some homework already and do feel like I get the items I am asking about, but it seems like just barely.

I think I understand 4 general options for hosting: Shared, Dedicated, Managed, Co-Located - and have just beyond novice understanding of each. Am most familiar with Shared hosting (I think). I'm pretty sure I desire dedicated hosting (seems like no brainer), but before jumping into that, would like to understand fundamentals first.

As I intend to have clients of my own, I am interested in plan(s) that allows me to provide good bandwidth, security, reliability and cost effective solutions for clients. I wonder if feasible to present clients with option that was made to me in early days:
- pay less money, get shared server with lots of benefits, but little bandwidth, and reliability (that I, the design professional, have little to no control over)?
- OR pay more money, get dedicated IP with less benefits, higher bandwidth, and reliability that I theoretically have more control over?

I think I get which is the better option, but am asking if you think it okay to present the option as part of start-up company business model?

Thanks,
Jman

If you're going to provide web hosting to clients, you have three options. It doesn't seem like you're a system administrator, so colocation is out of the question.

The three are...

Reseller - you are put in a shared-hosting-type environment and can create accounts for others.

Virtual Private Servers (VPS) - this is a dedicated-server-type environment, but is generally less expensive because there are multiple "virtual" servers on one physical server.

Dedicated - you get a box to yourself

Depending on the amount of storage and data transfer you need, it looks like a VPS or a dedicated server will be your best bet.

Do you have experience managing a server? If not, then you're going to have to look at managed VPS/dedicated solutions.

Do you plan on giving clients the option to sign up for web hosting on their own or want an easy way to administer web hosting accounts? Then you'll want something like WHM/cPanel and might want to investigate an automated billing solution like WHMCS.

Jman, actually I think you are going toward an incorrect way and thinking too much of things that should be irrelevant, at least for a while.

Nowadays shared hosting provides so much resources for your to expand with that I can't imagine what a dedicated server will do for you, except for racking up the cost. After all, you acknowledge that you have basic knowledge of web hosting, so I would recommend first learning as much as possible before dedicating yourself to a whole dedicated box.

If you do decide to offer hosting to your clients, you can successfully do so with a regular Reseller Hosting account. If you do well, then a Managed VPS (Virtual Private Server) is what you need, even before you think about a dedicated machine. A managed VPS will give you the near dedicated hosting experience at a fraction of a cost of a dedicated server, and the company will provide you with full support of your machine as well.

Reseller Hosting links:
http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/reseller-web-hosting.php
http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/shared-reseller-hosting-special-offers/

After reading your post, I would recommend you use a reseller account to begin with, at first. This way your hosting provider handles all the technical aspects of running the server (security, maintenance, software upgrades and installation, ect..). You should also choose a provider that can offer you and your clients fast, accurate end support. Remember, your hosting provider's quality of service will reflect upon you also, so choose your reseller provider(s) wisely.

Most hosts that offer reseller plans will also include a free license for a billing software such as WHMCS, WHMAutoPilot and/or ClientExec, which is definately a must if you wish to be efficent and organized. I personally love WHMCS and would not change it for anything esle out there right now.

Your best bet is to keep researching and reading like you've already been doing and fill your brain with more knowledge about this industry. ;)

I'd suggest starting with a reseller account.. In addition if you can, install Linux on a local machine(PC you don't use or something) and start playing around with it, learning about apache, bind, etc..

I'd also highly suggest resourcing: http://webhostbootcamp.net/2009/ Much of it is very basic, but as I watched I recall thinking "I wish they had something like this when I started out".. So it can't hurt..

Welcome to HD and best of luck!

I assume that in any case that would be vise to get started with as cheap as possible solution for you. And then you will decide if you would like to stay or you would like to upgrade
Welcome to the forums

Maybe move me from kindergarten to 3rd grade in understanding web hosting.
:) Thanks,
Jman

Just asking the questions you've raised tells me you're way beyond third grade. LOL. As most have recommended, a Reseller account is probably your best route initially. Have you developed a written business plan to launch and measure the success of your new venture? What do you project your bandwidth needs to be upfront and one year down the road?

Having a business plan will help you out a lot. Having a business plan will also help you get investors (people or bank).

Having a business plan will help you out a lot. Having a business plan will also help you get investors (people or bank).

The bootcamp has a presentation about obtaining investors, but it's my experience that first time web hosts have a very hard time getting loans and investors. A business plan is a must, but don't overdo it. I spent a year on my first plan and by the time I was ready to launch many thing in the industry had changed..

Go with a reseller plan, and get the cheapest plan and work your way up. You will gain valuable knowledge by doing this. Have seen quite a few people jump straight into a dedicated server and got totally over there heads in both technical and money. A business plan is a must, even if it is not to detailed at least you have something as a guide to work with as you run your business. :)

I would suggest either a shared multi-domain account or reseller plan BUT remember your reputation (if you plan on having a business) is dependent on who you get that service from. If they have overcrowded servers or frequent downtime to the people who deal with you it's YOU that has the bad business. All of us hosts can "white label" you so you look like you are on your own servers (in other words you have your own name servers like NS1.YOURCOMPANY.COM instead of NS1.YOUR PROVIDER.COM. So it "looks" like it' you. But with that comes the identity of your new business depending on your provider (and that's true for anything from shared multi-domain to VPS or Dedicated...if they go down YOU are down or if they are slow YOU are slow)
and your new business could stop before it got started... :shaky:

So choose your provider VERY carefully no matter what you decide to start with.
You have small needs and you can start at the bottom and get used to providing a service for others and work on your business plan then move on up to VPS where you can start learning server management skills before moving to a full dedicated where it's all on you. From what you have provided you probably don't have the skills to take care of VPS or dedicated management while working on your business and developing customers & working on your business model and you don't have demand great enough to require those things anyway.
So I'd suggest starting small as other have suggested but make a very thorough search for your host, talk to them on the phone, see if you can view their uptime stats from an independent source as well as their speed stats. Look for quality over cheapest price because if you get a provider with frequent downtime or frequent slow response because there are 1,000 web sites on a P4 server with 2GB of RAM running at a load of 8 or 10 many times that can kill your reputation before it gets off the ground.

I don't know the hosts you are using now but they might or might not work for what you need. But I'd suggest a shared multi-domain or reseller with a good-solid host who has been around a while with good support and excellent speed and uptime stats.
Then as you grow you will be familiar with the basics and you can get a manages VPS and start learning that end of the business then someday move on to a dedicated when you outgrow a top VPS plan.

But at every step, always remember--your provider is what your reputation rides on. That's why there are dedicated servers from some companies cheaper than VPS plans on other but there's reasons for that. Quality of their bandwidth providers and datacenters then their hardware & software...& on & on.
So as you grow remember your most careful choices are who you choose for a provider, because to your customers--you are only as good as them when it comes to speed & reliability.

Honestly I think there is a lack of info needed for this to be fully answered. I am a little off feeling that the person is still in the "starter area" of things and I am not sure if there needs to be more study going to see how far in this person is aware of (it seems more research and reading up to learn and understand more might be needed).