Virtuozzo

Chief

Hello,

Alright, say you have a dedicated server, whatever. A server, it's linux based. Would it be possible to make a VPS without using virtuozzo? Just by making it with WHM? Or give them WHM root.

Regards.

No, you need some kind of "buffer" (if you will) that creates and manages virtual instances of an operating system. If you were to be able to give someone WHM root, you would give them root access to the server a whole, not their particular section, which I'm sure you don't want to do.

Well actually you could partition the drive on your own, and provide access to each partition, using simple SSH.

Unfortunately atm the precise process escapes me.

I can perhaps write a short tut on it, when I get a chance, and find the process in my documents folder again ;)

Interesting, Mark, but would you be able to control both partitions under WHM, with both still able to take advantage of all of the features of WHM? Obviously disk space is taken care of since it's a partition, but is there any way to deal with bandwidth? This one is just a little hard to picture in my head. Would both partititions boot simultaneously, or would one boot and use the other to create something of a virtual server?

Interesting, Mark, but would you be able to control both partitions under WHM, with both still able to take advantage of all of the features of WHM?
Yes. You could install any control panel software on each partition, as each partition would sort of be like it's own HD. CPanel offers a CPanel VPS version for this. The control panel would handle the bandwidth I assume (not sure). I'm not sure about all of the details until or if I can find the document again.

So Virtuozzo partions my server?
Generally speaking, yes. This is the entire premise of VPS. It partitions your HD so that each user will have their own partition, thus root access to their own partition.

Although you would probably not be able to make use of WHM, the desired affect would be possible on *nix-based platforms using jails. We usually do this with machines with multiple IP addresses (such as our nameservers/mx's) for security purposes.

You could have a look into jails at the following links:
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1151/sam0105d/0105d.htm
FreeBSD manual
http://unix.ittoolbox.com/documents/industry-articles/freebsd-jails-2730

This wont help you if you're trying to hand out WHM access to everyone, but allows you to grant "root" access to each user's jail, which can tinker with their own process trees etc. Jailed root accounts cant rm -rf / or mount filesystems though.

Regards,