VPN Software

Matthew

Whats the best VPN software you have used, or know about other then buying hardware to make a secure connection. I came across some software which I tested on a server where it logs on to a secure service, and then you log in and it links you both together.

Any other decent ones out there?

I looked at OpenVPN briefly but couldn't get it to work and didn't spend any more time with it. I should sometime. Another I tried was Hamachi - hamachi.cc. It's just been aquired by logmein.com. I had more success with this but still didn't get it to the stage where I wanted it. I should really try again.

I got Hamachi working and it seems to do a good job. I dont use it too often though but it is handy when connecting on open hotspots etc...

I recently had another go with Hamachi and it's brilliant - managed to get it to do everything I need now, including printing and file sharing. Nice and easy.

I sometimes use it to connect to a friends computer but I use it most of the time to support a garage about 10 miles from where I live (20 miles from work). I can carry out 90% of tasks over a VPN instead of visiting the site which isn't always easy to fit in with my full time job. Who said that technology wasn't useful?

I wonder if I have ever been to that garage ;) Last time I was there (December I think) it looked like they were kitted out with some new equipment!

:) You have! The new equipment runs nicely; I hope it runs as long as the last lot - around 9 years now. I say equipment only because we're having terrible problems with the software company involved - I wonder if you can give me any advice/know someone who can! (You're in it now, should have kept quiet :D ). I'll PM you.