VPS tips, tricks and cheap hosts.

Edgareatis

Ok, Just want to clear a few things up before letting everyone know how to get a VPS cheaper than shared hosting.

A Few Tips
  • Xen is more reliable than OpenVZ
  • SolusVM can be used with HOSTBILL to automate VPS order(Requires reseller VPS)
  • Anymore than 10gb Storage per $1 is not cost effictive for the host and should sound alarm bells(Google is your friend)
  • 512mb RAM for $5 to $10 is normal for Lowendbox(Link at the bottom)
  • anymore than 1GB RAM for $12 should warrent an investiagtion into the host(Use google)
  • Most of all building on my last point. GOOGLE EVERY HOST BEFORE YOU BUY FROM THEM. Read reviews, blog posts or threads just to see if they live up to their name.

A OpenVZ VPS can be oversold.
Avoid an openVZ host if you can afford an alternative. OpenVZ does not entirely isolate you from other clients. This means they CAN cause the entire server to crash. OpenVZ also does not use 'dedicated' resources. The host does not have to have the resources that he or she sells you. In short OpenVZ is good for low traffic sites with a minimal budget.

Xen
Amazing performance. Truly isolates you from other users ensuring good uptime. An Xen VPS reseller MUST have the resource he or she sells to you. Xen gives you proper 'dedicated' resources. Xen is a much better choice and usually only charges a few dollars more, however it is so worth it.

Bandwidth
unmetered and unlimited are both *almost* always a scam. Unmetered is available on dedicated servers. It just means that the amount of Bandwidth you use is not limited so you could use all the bandwidth alocated to the server, or one of the other clients could. Stay away from any unmetered and unlimited VPS plans if you want reliability and control over your VPS. Most VPS servers will include around 1TB of bandwidth as default.

Storage
Stay away from any host that give you more than 10GB per $. Even 10GB per $ is alot but it is still possible. For example if you see an offer for 200gb space and 2TB transfer for $5 or $10 it is oversold or oversubscribed. Not reliable and not very cost effective for the host.

Do I need Root access?
If you dont know what root access is the short answer is no, however read on and this may change. When installing a new software package like CPanel or Kloxo you need to have root access. This allows you the freedom to use the VPS as a seperate computer almost. Root access is good to have if you like to be incontrol of everything. Again this is where Xen comes in handy. With Xen, unmanaged hosting and root access you can control your entire vps, install your own apps and setup your own hosting provider if you wanted. However Root access just allows you to contol the server. If your only hosting 1 site shared hosting may be easier.

Managed or Unmanaged
If you are new to hosting or have any doupt in your mind at all about controlling a VPS, don't buy one. They can be much more difficult to use in most cases. However if you are willing to learn get a cheap 512mb server from below. Managed hosting will in most cases double the price of your VPS. However for that price you get an amazing support team, improved uptime and automated installs (All this is average not guaranteed). However if you are on a budget or know how to use linux command line then go ahead and go for unmanaged. Much cheaper and you still get support, just not to as high a level as you get with managed. To conclude this section, managed hosting basically buts someone in charge of keeping your sever running. Unmanged puts you in charge of keeping your server running.

Before I link you to the cheap VPS site I would like to add that Kloxo has just as many features as CPanel only requires less Ram and CPU to run. Also it is much cheaper at NOTHING a month.

Cheap Vps Deals
The hosts on their are not guaranteed to be 100% reliable. However click on a host and scroll down the page to see what other users are saying about them. This will ensure you avoid a dodgy deal. Anyway thanks for reading and if you want anything added please PM me and I will be more than happy to.

Thank you for reading and hope you found this helpful.

Last edited:
Nice guide you have there. Although I do have some pointers about OpenVZ. Its mainly only the kiddie hosts that oversell on OpenVZ. There are some really big hosts out there that use OpenVZ, they also use XEN.

I used to work for a company, setuplink, and they had AWSOME severs and they were soooo cheap, but they closed down :/

Agreed but I thought I'd just mention that it is possible. OpenVZ doesn't really have a good name for itself any more because of all the kiddie hosts cutting corners and leaving people for dust when they realise they done wrong. Overall IMO, OpenVZ is better than XEN from a hosts point of view as its so easy to manage, although XEN is better when it comes to resources and reliability.

Agreed but I thought I'd just mention that it is possible. OpenVZ doesn't really have a good name for itself any more because of all the kiddie hosts cutting corners and leaving people for dust when they realise they done wrong. Overall IMO, OpenVZ is better than XEN from a hosts point of view as its so easy to manage, although XEN is better when it comes to resources and reliability.

I only buy Xen servers now. OpenVZ is just to dodgy for my liking. Xen offers better uptime as well so a good host would benefit from that.

Trying to get back into the hosting buisness. Have a full automated shared hosting site but I havent been able to advertise yet :/

Is the charge made according to actual usage or are you expected to pre-pay for a potential overage? It is better not to go for hosts that expect you to prepay for overages, since it is very hard to forsee when your site will exceed its bandwidth and by how much.

[*]Anymore than 10gb Storage per $1 is not cost effictive for the host
[*]512mb RAM for $5 to $10 is normal
[*]anymore than 1GB RAM for $12 should warrent an investiagtion
[/LIST]

Whilst it's nice to generalise into a set of "rules", applying arbitrary amounts like that is sales-speak conjecture not hard-fact. You have no idea what costs/kit/setup any host other than the one you represent has, or how their pricing model has been obtained.

Whilst it's nice to generalise into a set of "rules", applying arbitrary amounts like that is sales-speak conjecture not hard-fact. You have no idea what costs/kit/setup any host other than the one you represent has, or how their pricing model has been obtained.
Have to agree with othellotech. Every host has unique expenses and profit levels. And I wouldn't rely entirely on lowenbox because their reviews are not verified. I've read a number of reviews there where the posters outright lied, either to make themselves out to be technically competent or to whine about being cut off because they're spammers.

Look for a minimum uptime of 99%. In fact, even 99% is actually too low - it really should be 99.5% or higher. The host should provide some sort of refund (eg prorated refund or discount) if it falls below that figure.

Look for a minimum uptime of 99%. In fact, even 99% is actually too low - it really should be 99.5% or higher. The host should provide some sort of refund (eg prorated refund or discount) if it falls below that figure.

If a host does not Guarantee (mention they guarantee uptime) then they do not need to offer any sort of prorated refund/discount.

Their is also no legal requirement for any host even if they guarantee uptime to offer any sort of prorated refund/discount

OpenVZ isn't that bad if you are using a reliable hosting, I'm offering it to my customers, but I'm taking care of any abuse and never oversell so it works perfect with me. it dependence on the provider.
and as you all know over sale could be run on Xen also, so it's a matter of the promised provider.

OpenVZ is good if you are deploying it on a good hardware, obviously it make hosts tasks simple.

Though I prefer Xen VPS :)

I feel like to point out that OVZ is a decent software and not every web host that uses the software oversells or run with the money. I think who ever you are should not only base your post on LEBS and should look at all the providers using OVZ Xen KVM. There are some good leb providers like BuyVM and Hostigation then their are the ones that fall in to the dead pool. LEA never went around making post like this and would let the word of mouth travel about his site and since he did leave I think LEB went off the deep end. Ads that are posted are going to be re-peats of the same old same old since no new (then a year) providers can get posted on there since the new rules.

I feel like to point out that OVZ is a decent software and not every web host that uses the software oversells or run with the money.

Exactly. i am sick of reading on forums that if you use OpenVZ then you are overselling your servers and will run off with clients money.

All my servers use OpenVZ and i never oversell any server and i would never consider taking clients money and running off.