Web Hosting Review Sites

Vivelee

I know that there are a couple of dated ones I used to look to for reviews and ratings on web hosts, but they haven't added anything new in years. I know that there are forums like this one that have webhosting reviews available also, but I want a comprehensive and current list of every host that is alive and kicking, including the new and the old.

Are there any such resources out there that I'm just not finding? You'd think that someone would have bunched all the hosts together rather than make a blog about 10-20 of them and then stop altogether.

I guess there is no definitive list since there are so many hosts out there.

Many of them probably don`t even promote them online I guess.

Best way is probably to check on some web hosting directory.

Good luck

Web hosting directories, blogs and search engines is what you can rely on. But even they continue to feature all the same names primarily because of huge affiliate commissions that are generated with every lead.

Hello Vivelee,

There are sites which list web hosts but as Artashes mentioned, the majority of the web hosting directory sites typically list the same 10 web hosts and all the banners/links on their site/directory are affiliate links. In addition, the reviews/ratings don't hold any real merit since they are falsely materialized :smash:

You may already be aware of this site and if not then great but one valuable site which a lot of active web hosting companies advertise on regularly is the "The WHIR" www.thewhir.com. Another site would be "Find My Host" www.findmyhost.com but the companies listed on both sites are obviously positioned based on a paid service. Nevertheless, this should provide you with an accurate list of active hosting companies which is information you're looking to obtain.

As for "The WHIR" aside from listing web hosting providers they really do provide up to date and valuable information on what's going on within the hosting industry both with the large privately funded companies to the small and medium sized web hosting providers.

Hopefully this helps.

Regards,

I know that there are a couple of dated ones I used to look to for reviews and ratings on web hosts, but they haven't added anything new in years. I know that there are forums like this one that have webhosting reviews available also, but I want a comprehensive and current list of every host that is alive and kicking, including the new and the old.

Are there any such resources out there that I'm just not finding? You'd think that someone would have bunched all the hosts together rather than make a blog about 10-20 of them and then stop altogether.

Hello,

The problem with these sites is that the majority of them only promote hosts for an affiliate commission. Even the directories are guilty of listing hosts in their 'top 10' count for money. While it's understandable why the owner and host take advantage of this it's easy for the visitor to make the wrong decision.

I believe your best bet for a full list is:

http://www.webhostingstuff.com/

Jack

I think the problem is..

What another poster mentionned before, the industry is too large and too competitive for one site to mention them all and also each company can update their pricing at will (so keeping an accurate record is also close to impossible). And also, the ones that refer big commission ones kind of ruin the whole purpose of having such sites.

Being a highly competitive market, I don't think those lists are really helpful. Forums like hosting discussion and some sites that don't require you to pay a fee to list yourself is much better in my opinion.

I wish there was a website that it's main purpose is to list, update and also verify the user information given, meaning that negative reviewers would be challenged to prove their claims. This would give the hosting provider a chance to clear it's name. But that type of service would take a long time to set up and take a lot of time to update.

I wish there was a website that it's main purpose is to list, update and also verify the user information given, meaning that negative reviewers would be challenged to prove their claims. This would give the hosting provider a chance to clear it's name. But that type of service would take a long time to set up and take a lot of time to update.

Nobody will ever be able to verify the information provided by either party, unless they have direct control of everything that is going on on both sides of the equation.

Personally , a comprehensive and current list of every host that is alive and kicking, the new and the old could be available to you,but you'd better do it yourself. You may collect all the comprehensive information you wanted through kinds of hosting websites and forums,that will be a tough job but more valuable and reliable.

Hello,

The problem with these sites is that the majority of them only promote hosts for an affiliate commission. Even the directories are guilty of listing hosts in their 'top 10' count for money. While it's understandable why the owner and host take advantage of this it's easy for the visitor to make the wrong decision.

I believe your best bet for a full list is:

http://www.webhostingstuff.com/

Jack

They rank hosts by the highest bidder, so the #1 host listed #1 because they are paying $10 per click, not because they are the best.

My own view on these sites are poor, most just charge and list the biggest guys.

However I add my Companies there since there is positive things out of it.

Webhostingstuff is the best really.

Most review sites give top rated spots to companies that pay for them. If you are looking for good, honest reviews, I'd recommend that you check out forums that verify reviews (ie. WHT)

Like other users have said, your best bet is getting the information yourself or once you have a few providers in mind that meet your needs. Post on boards like this one to gather other users personal experinces with the host providers your thinking about and hopefully that will help you in picking the right one for your needs.

Like other users have said, your best bet is getting the information yourself or once you have a few providers in mind that meet your needs. Post on boards like this one to gather other users personal experinces with the host providers your thinking about and hopefully that will help you in picking the right one for your needs.

I agree sadly the best way to find a host is simply to research the best one for your needs

As others have commented I wouldn't really trust these sites fully. You'd have a better chance finding a better review at a forum where people can speak. Time to time many sites are "Supported" by company so they push it. They get top ratings and high on the list. You also don't know who owns these sites. Some are owned by a hosting company which is OK (Rarely OK). As they tend to put them on the high list.

So IMO I'd suggest you look at a forum that lets users freely review hosts without them approving it.

As others have commented I wouldn't really trust these sites fully. You'd have a better chance finding a better review at a forum where people can speak. Time to time many sites are "Supported" by company so they push it. They get top ratings and high on the list. You also don't know who owns these sites. Some are owned by a hosting company which is OK (Rarely OK). As they tend to put them on the high list.

So IMO I'd suggest you look at a forum that lets users freely review hosts without them approving it.

I agree with this, you will also be able to properly find out about a host and there products this way.

I want to make a web hosting dir list but problem is lots of hosting services closed within a 6 month.

You can get list of hosting sites from google :) (1k, 1m or more results... )

If all you want is a list you might try something like DMOZ:
http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Web_Design_and_Development/Hosting/A/

But, as others have said, I think you may get quickly overwhelmed. There are so many, you'd have to give up your day job to research them all. ;)

Having gone down this road, much like you (I am not a hosting provider, but just a lowly neophyte ;)) I have run the gamut wallowing through the 'top 10', but I have come to find that every one I've seen is nothing but a paid shill. I'm not convinced that it means any of those 'top hosting companies' are bad (some are, imo, some, who knows? - and I am with one now that I am so far happy with) it just means that you can't necessarily choose a host based on the recommendations of them.

Then there are forums, like this one. Once again, you need to be careful. I found my last host on a forum where I thought I was getting objective input, but the host wound up being the worst hosting experience ever (Monte Carlo Hosting) and having written a review there, I come to find that the owner moderates that area of the forum and pretty much brow beats anyone who dares to post a negative review. I've also come to understand about that forum that there is no room to even discuss going to an overseller, because they are painted with a broad brush as being inherently bad, 100% of them, 100% of the time.

I can only surmise that there must be other forums like this one out there, web review forums that are run with integrity, but frankly, after long searching, I haven't found them. I'm pretty new here, but I've gotten some very good advice here and I don't feel like anyone was criticizing my questions or trying to browbeat me into a specific host or type of host.

That said, I think one of the best things you can do when looking for a host - because it is an extraordinarily difficult and stressful process - is to arm yourself with knowledge.

Here is my best advice:
1. Decide on your needs
-- How much disk space do you need? ie: how much space do your files take up?
-- How much bandwidth do you need? ie: how much traffic do you get on a daily basis?
-- Do you need a dedicated host or can you go with a shared host? (You budget may be the deciding factor here.) If you are a relatively small site, which it sounds like you might be, you probably can go with a shared host. If, however, you think your site might grow very large, quickly, you may want to choose a shared host that also offers dedicated hosting so that if you ever decide to upgrade, you can do just that ... upgrade rather than change hosts.
--Do you need add-on site availability? ie: Do you have just the one domain or do you have other domains that you run now, or may in the future?
-- What kind of support do you need? ie: 24/7 phone support? 800# phone support? Business hours phone support? 24/7 live chat? Business hours live chat? Just email/support ticket support? This is a BIG question to answer before you start looking. Host vary widely in this respect. You need to decide how you use support and how quickly you feel you need it.
-- How much 'hand holding' do you need? ie: when you narrow down your choices, contact them through their support systems and find out: how quick is their response time? How technically competent are they? Are they Mac knowledgeable if you are on a Mac? How courteous and helpful are they?
-- Do you have any special needs like databases for forums, or quicktime streaming, etc. Think ahead. Where do you want to take your website.
-- Do you want unlimited space or a host that has tiered plans? As I've mentioned before, oversellers (unlimited space) have a terrible reputation, some for good reason, but the upside is not worrying that you will suddenly need more space, for whatever reason, and not be in a position to go up in price.
-- How long have they been in business? Do they have a history behind them? Will they be going out of business soon? Are they struggling enough that they might not be honest with you about your needs, pushing you into higher plans than you need so they can make more money?
-- What kind of uptime do they have? This is a hard one because they virtually *all* say 99.9%. That's not always true. Do they 'guarantee' it? Ask how many servers they have. Ask how long their longest outage was and how long ago it was. Look for independent reviews speaking specifically to downtime (and customer service, for that matter.)
-- What is your budget? While this seems like the most important, ask yourself the other questions first and then see what the budget spread is like for hosts that offer what you need. The question is not 'how much does it cost?' The question is "how much value am I getting for what I'm paying for?" And, believe me, no amount of money saved is worth getting into a host then having to deal with not having what you need.

I'm sure I've missed something, but if you answer these questions for yourself, you will be well armed (and we're not talking crosshairs on a map here ;)) to get a host that most closely fits your needs. Whoever you chose, will not be perfect, usually because we can afford only what we can afford, but the best you can hope for is someone you can stay with a long time and not have to worry about.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,
Caat

Last edited: