Web Hosting Survey

dubs

For those of you who already are purchasing web hosting, monthly or yearly, which amount of space bets suits you? We are asking this question for a school project trying to get a better idea of how much space the typical web host purchaser uses.

One of my websites takes nearly 5GB in space alone, so I would presume 10GB of space should be sufficient for me to run the network.

One of my web sites uses 5gb also, this is due to lots of databases and thousands of records getting inserted hourly.

The space I need is for ever increasing, so I couldn't say what is sufficient.

I also run several other web sites which use about 1gb between them.

As a host I can tell you that our clients use on average far less than 1gb space.
Of course there are those who will need and use more space but averaging out many accounts I think you will find it is far less than 1gb.

I've never used more than 1.5GB, but even then it was because I uploaded some pictures for my brother to see. The websites themselves barely total .5GB and that's bloated by the emails I stupidly keep on the server.

1Gb is plenty for me, especially if I use it with a bit of care.

I think one of my personal sites are around 2GB, but on the average sites hosted with us are around 500MB. The only site that ever exceeded 5GB was a comic site containing flash, audio, video, and very large jpgs - as well as a busy forum with plenty of uploads and attachments.

However before his site hit 10GB in size it needed a dedicated server to handle just the traffic.

I would have to agree that the average user only needs a 1GB hosting account.

I am currently using around 4.7GB on one of my site. But thats mainly because of the nature of the site.
BW is around 17GB+ per month.

As a host I can tell you most websites use much less than what's already been mentioned. Not that plenty of sites don't need several GB's, majority are around a few hundred MB's, to less than 1GB easily.

Jim2Macs said:
As a host I can tell you most websites use much less than what's already been mentioned. Not that plenty of sites don't need several GB's, majority are around a few hundred MB's, to less than 1GB easily.
We usually need 2 gb for now but I prey to god we get more clients

I've never given it much thought, but I host a couple of my own sites, plus a few others for family members and friends, and have yet to get anywhere close to 1 gig total. I guess it depends on the type of sites that you host, databases, etc...

All depends on the sites you are going to host. Some sites may take much disk space and bandwidth, the others don't. But for your type of site 1000MB will be enough IMO.

It all depends on who you ask and what they are doing.

This is a webhosting forum, mainly visited by web hosts, and so due to the nature of what we do our sites are often more complicated and larger simply because of everything we need to cram in (e.g. a hosts website might include the content, billing system, support system, knowledgebase, forum software etc...). This site would include the advertising system, the helpdesk and the forum software - plus all the databases to power them.

Most of the 'small business' and 'personal sites' I host typically use 0-100mb, a few of the larger ones that have been going a couple of years are over the 1GB mark, but, that's still a very small percentage. On the other hand, an 'image host' will run into the GB's and potentially across servers.

Taking wild figures doesn't really make much sense IMO. You'd be better to focus on a certain thing - "how much space do web forums use", "how much space does an average blog use" etc... as those figures are much more useful in the real world :)