Web Hosting Target Market

dubs

In addition to knowing how much space you all use, I'd also like to know who you are, how old you are, male or female, just to get a better idea of who the web hosting industry usually markets. I'd assume middle-aged men would be the majority, but being more clear on the demographic in the web hosting company will aid in my school project.

Oops, for 10-20 female, I mean't 10-30 female sorry

A majority will be aimed at middle-aged men. However the increase of Kiddie Hosts have increased year after year.

I think your age ranges are way to large. I'd think increments of 5-10 would be better.

Exectly what i was about to say.
There should be more options if you really want to get the idea who are your users.
The current case will not help much. (At least thats what I think)

i under 10 to 30 male... as a research you should shorten your age range. 31 to 100 is way too much. It doesnt really help you to analyse

So, you were mistaken about the majority being middle-aged men, or 10-30 men are middle-aged, not young?

I'll give you my experiences of who purchases what. It's important to remember the web hosting industry is very diverse, both in terms of web hosts and web hosting customers. Web hosts are generally male, with an increasingly lower average age due to teenagers - there are however several high-profile hosts run and owned by women. People using webhosts are the people next door, down the street, and over the hill ;)

"website + design/coding + maintenance" – local folk, mainly business people but also a few locals who’ve setup fairly popular sites and don’t have a clue what to do now that they are so popular ;) 25-40, male *and* female people fit in this category for me. As an aside, I must say, the women are always much easier to deal with – once you’ve built up a relationship with them as a customer, they seem to accept things more easily than my male customers, who like to question and examine everything in crazy amounts of detail! Guess which lot get the cheaper bills at the end of each month… ;) I guess having both groups is good - women for making things easy, and males for asking questions allowing you to increase their invoicables each month.

“my $50 server bucket” – teenagers mainly. Not really targeting them, but, it’s who I end up with ;) There are a few people who also rent them out as testing grounds. Age is probably 10-20, and most certainly male.

“$100-200 servers... getting somewhere” – male, 15-50.

“$250+ servers” – women get another look in here, couldn’t tell you which age group I land up with.

Overall, I simply target those people who are willing to pay cash. Running multiple brands and multiple products leaves it pretty wide open – each gets a certain type of people in, but it all balances out in the end.

My quick summary:
The cheaper something is, the more likely teenagers rush to the scene. Women seem more likely to go somewhere based on recommendations (word of mouth etc...), and men seem to weigh everything up over a few months before deciding.

Last edited:
and men seem to weigh everything up over a few months before deciding.
Tell me about it. I think I've been reading stuff about cars for 6 months before deciding to take the plunge. I'm not so sure I would put the same amount of energy when it comes to choosing hosting though. :)

I don't really think there is a target market for hosting. I suppose if I wanted to target a certain group of people I would have to obtain advertising with a website that target's them.

I have seen a few "fad" hosts come up that try to target specific groups of people--pimpmyhost.com; Wasn't around very long obviously..I believe the domain is owned by a different company now.

Legally speaking you don't hold legal status until 18, so anyone under 18 couldn't legally own their hosting company. Their parents could own it I suppose.

I'm a female of 31 years old. And you want to say I'm a middle-aged person? What a stupid poll and topic starter!!! :smash:

tarsick and dubs: 3.1 Be respectful to other users and avoid personal attacks.

Please do not let things get out of hand.

The entry level pricing to get in the market has dropped and makes it affordable to all ages. The younger generation is the first to grow up with computers and now with cheep pricing it only makes senses they are the fastest growing.

I think the most dramatic thing that has contributed to lower costs is how bandwidth prices have fallen. For example, bandwidth pricing 2 year ago was $30.00 a meg from providers like Cogent, now it is $10.00 .

fdcservers said:
The entry level pricing to get in the market has dropped and makes it affordable to all ages. The younger generation is the first to grow up with computers and now with cheep pricing it only makes senses they are the fastest growing.

I think the most dramatic thing that has contributed to lower costs is how bandwidth prices have fallen. For example, bandwidth pricing 2 year ago was $30.00 a meg from providers like Cogent, now it is $10.00 .

Totally agree. :)