Webhosttalk is ridiculous?

KurotaTakumi

Hi, guys!
I have some reviews about the webhostalk. I read their rules. It said multiple accounts are permitted and WHOIS must be accurate. I understand in order to avoid the spam, they limit the account number. But the WHOIS?? They are not the FBI who can acquire the data from all countries. How can they judge the WHOIS which is accurate? Multiple accounts are not allowed. One company is just for one account. It means that many staffs have to share a account. The ip could be different if the staffs come from the global. Do they have the right to request all information for the offshore company eg.B.V.I. ? Come on! Even the US government is also hard to get that. It is really not friendly for member if you don't pay be a premium member! :shaky:

Last edited:
No, you can't share your account with staff. Staff can create account. Also they are going to start company account. So you can assign your staff.

No, you can't share your account with staff. Staff can create account. Also they are going to start company account. So you can assign your staff.

It seems you need to pay to become a Corporate Member. For the free member you are not allowed create multiple accounts for staffs. We have tried it but got a profile infraction. But seriously, I would pay for google adwords rather than them.

Sorry, are we talking about WebHostingTalk the forum? "webhostalk" is throwing me off a bit.

If we are talking about a community, as far as I remember, the rule states that you cannot have more than 1 account, no matter how many companies you represent. All it means that you cannot create an account for each company that you run and/or associate with. It makes sense and we exercise the same rule here at HostingDiscussion as well.

Yes when it comes to Webhostingtalk yes i agree they are very strict, i had a similar situation and they blocked be because somebody else signed up before me on the same ip (agree it was my bad for signing up at starbucks internet). They did not want to do anything, so now im over here. I only have positive things to say about this forum, hopefully you'll join as well. if your talking about someone else i take it back but i keep the positives :)

Yes when it comes to Webhostingtalk yes i agree they are very strict, i had a similar situation and they blocked be because somebody else signed up before me on the same ip (agree it was my bad for signing up at starbucks internet). They did not want to do anything, so now im over here. I only have positive things to say about this forum, hopefully you'll join as well. if your talking about someone else i take it back but i keep the positives :)

I agree your point. I have told my situation to them via helpdesk. But still not get the reply about how to resolve the issue. I give up the ads on them and happy to join you, guys. :beer:

Certainly, where you post and what forums you participate and advertise on are your choice. I would DISAGREE that WHT is not member friendly unless you purchase a premium membership. Thousands of regular members on WHT have frequented their forum for years with zero issues.

When I first signed up at WHT, I was using the same company computer and IP address as a previous (fired) employee at our firm. Of course, they queried me as I expected they would, but they accepted my explanation and I've been with them for years, just as I've been at Hosting Discussion for years. On that note, I do welcome you to HD and look forward to your threads and posts. :)

I have to disagree about WHT being friendly, I joined them and yes posted my link they removed it gave me reason fine, I had reached the threshold for posting urls and the mod in question who just comes over as power mad removed a thread saying oh I guess I can now post as I hit the threshold.

So not a fan of WHT nor will I return, they suspended my account, pretty much told them to as I'd not be back.

This seems a much friendlier place.

I had an experience with them and decided to lave thats How I ended up here. You see I use a company email and another guy I work with also uses his company email. So its like me@techsysug.com and him@techsysug.com We use office internet so the IP addresses look similar and we started getting warnings for multiple account till they finally banned us. No amount of explaining would get them to see what was happening.

I was finally booted off 1.5 years ago because they found an account from 2005 or something that I completely forgot about when signing up in 2009(?) but accidentally found when searching for a subject. I guessed my old password and logged in. They detected that and bam!

But they were always after me due to my rationally aggressive pro-unlimited hosting stance. For example, I started a post with the word "Baloney" and got an infraction. I used a german-language expression in an English post (a play on President Kennedy's "Ich bin ein Berliner") and got dinged for not using English.

However, I have new found respect for them: They now accept the unlimited hosting model. It was a pleasure to read the announcement and the responses to their anti-unlimited critics. The same moderators and staff that called me and my type of hosting fraudulent, crooked, a lie, etc were now practically copying and pasting my old posts (or so it seemed) to justify their new policies against the usual anti-unlimited posters.

Well done WHT!

I personally enjoy both places and don't see a reason to choose just one. :rolleyes2

One thing tho,I do think its a little more lively in WHT , more real users are discussing more various topics and not just post counting, advertizing, copy/pasting content. And it seems that the same "strictness" that you all discuss is one of the main reasons of keeping the forum clean :)

I was finally booted off 1.5 years ago because they found an account from 2005 or something that I completely forgot about when signing up in 2009(?) but accidentally found when searching for a subject. I guessed my old password and logged in. They detected that and bam!!

Something similar happened to me.

I had an old account and one that I used for the business and I accidentally logged into the old account. The warned me that to be suspended they needed to be merged, they said this about 3 times.

But no matter how many times you requested it, they wouldn't merge, repeated calls for information and how to solve the issue was left unanswered and just ignored. I have never come across such ignorant people in my life, a response costs nothing, especially against someone who had never trolled and had spent thousands off dollars advertising.

To make it worse they then deleted all my MDs posts as they said he was posting on my behalf.
he answered support tickets to resolve it, and they thought ahh caught you out cause the domain name was registered in my name, but we didn't find it unusual that the domain is registered by the web tech/designer and not the business sided MD and even though he emailed documents such as bank documents of being Director of a limited company they wouldn't respond and reinstate his posts.

And on top of that, we was promised that we was next in line for a sticky post for about a year and everytime a new one appeared with some new company, we was promised by the rep that when they moved to 7 stickys that the spot was ours, again it is taken by someone else.

We even emailed iNet and again no response, I'm not sure what is going on with them, if they are just bad people but its no way to treat people and customers.

I agree your point. I have told my situation to them via helpdesk. But still not get the reply about how to resolve the issue. I give up the ads on them and happy to join you, guys. :beer:

Yeah I don't understand why they are not willing to respond to requests for information even when you agree with they have said.

One thing tho,I do think its a little more lively in WHT , more real users are discussing more various topics and not just post counting, advertizing, copy/pasting content

This is true. During my stay at WHT I enjoyed helping end users with technical issues. A lot of times I would learn things while researching the solutions.

it seems that the same "strictness" that you all discuss is one of the main reasons of keeping the forum clean :)

That is perfectly OK but they need to have a mechanisim to resolve challenges that my come with that strictness. banning me coz a workmate works from the same mask and they assume its me is rediculous.

Any forum that gets bigger needs to get stricter to survive, otherwise it ends up off topic, full of web spam and will collapse under it's own weight.

If you are not strict and engage at length with every naughty visitor, you will need more staff, which will reduce their profits, which is part of why they continue to run the forum after so many years.

Although many staffer there are volunteers, which I suppose helps the bottom line.

If you have hundreds of thousand of users, and 1% (i.e. thousands) of people trying it on, you are not able to give much consideration to each individual.

They could always charge, but we know how that worked for expertsexchange.

WHT is very strict. We got an infraction because we used three colors one time. We also already had an open account from 2009 on there I think it was. It doesn't matter if you are a paying corporate member or not, they will assume you are guilty and doing it intentionally first before anything. Unfortunately probably because there are so many that are...

We got an infraction for something in our footer, that was perfectly legal the week before (and for many years previous).

But if the rules changed, should they have let me continue, just because I didn't know?

They can either enforce or let things slide (not enforce), the latter would end in chaos.

Don't be unhappy if you get caught out, whether you knew the rule or not.

It's a free service abide by their rules or don't hang out there.