Website Constantly Down

First Timer

A friend of mine works with a company down in PA, and the entire website goes down seemingly every couple of days.

I've spoken to him (my friend) and asked him why this happens/happened and he just said it's the host - but either wouldn't the host try and fix it so it doesn't happen frequently or much less than it does - or could there be an actual way of fixing it without it actually being the host?

It would seem like your friend is using shared (or some other form of managed) hosting. In this case it is the host's responsibility to keep the server working smoothly, and the capabilities of the customer to solve issues on his own are very limited. Without any kind of access to the server, there's nothing you can do.

A server going down every couple of days isn't acceptable. Either there's something wrong with the server and hard to pinpoint/troubleshoot, or the host is simply not worth the money it receives.

Hi there,

From what you described, this does sound like the website is running on a shared web server and the problem is a server related issue which does fall under the responsibility of the web hosting provider.

A server can experience issues of downtime for a varied of reasons from the server being overloaded to misconfiguration's, etc.

I would recommend telling your friend to speak with their web hosting provider and ask them why it has been going down. If they are unable to resolve the issue on that server, then have your friend ask to move their account to another server that is not experiencing that problem and go from there. Well if that is still not the solution, then would recommend moving your website to another web host.

Sometimes it can be a simple setting that was set wrong during a transfer or it may be more then that, it's best to ask the host which has more access.

Is it your friend who is in some way responsible for these choices or is he just legwork for the firm? If he is in part responsible then why is he putting up with this kind of terrible service-this must be very bad for the business.

I think I would end up swapping hosting companies if that seems to 'always' happen. There is no reason to pay for your site your own or your works when the thing is always down.

You can't improve that, only web hosting provider can. The bast solution in this case might be switching to the new web host.

Is it your friend who is in some way responsible for these choices or is he just legwork for the firm? If he is in part responsible then why is he putting up with this kind of terrible service-this must be very bad for the business.

Well the way it works is the company is a game company, and he knows the owner, and as far as I know (don't quote me on this) but the owner hired him to manage the website / forum. But I do know that he does run the website / forum - I don't know about the "hiring" part.

Well the way it works is the company is a game company, and he knows the owner, and as far as I know (don't quote me on this) but the owner hired him to manage the website / forum. But I do know that he does run the website / forum - I don't know about the "hiring" part.

Gaming Servers & Websites on the same server is never a good idea. In the past i've played with giving game servers to clans and including a clan website on the same server.

Although the game servers are running fine, they tend to screw with apache. Apache has security measure in it that prevent it from working properly when the resources are constantly being used.

My only suggestion is for your friend to recommend getting a cheap shared account somewhere and use that as the main company site, and run the gaming server in parallel.

Last edited:
sla

it is the responsibility of the host. However, some hosts have a Service Level agreement SLA, and your friend can get compensation for the downtime.

I agree that separating the services would reduce the potential for problems. At least then if one went down the other would be ok, and they would have a means of contacting the members to get word out.

Hi,

The servers down might caused by customer abuse bandwith and traffic (if unlimited).
And maybe other reason like that host provider just provide a small server.

regards to your friend issue, seems very often server down (a couple days)..
you should suggest him move to a better hosting company :)

sounds like a shared hosting account at a provider that either overloads their servers or doesn't know how to deals with abuse issues other customers are causing on the server.

Make your buddy take a backup ASAP, and contact a webhost that wants to host him.

If his domain is registered with the current host, I would also start the transfer process.

Some downtime (total of maybe 30 minutes a month, spread out over smaller reboots/reinstalls/work on the server) must be accepted, as long as your not are on some high end/super hosting account with traffic and load balancing ;)

But the downtime you are talking about here, is way to much...even for a "lowcost/budget shared host"...

Looks like your friends website is hosted on a Shared platform?
some of the reasons for the constant down time,might be over usage or termination of bandwidth.
try moving to a Virtual Private if your website is down due to over usage of resources.
or contemplate switching hosts if your website is down even though the usage is fairly moderate.

But the site isn't "busy" enough to needing an urge to get a larger host or whatnaught. I'm thinking about getting my own website sometime soon, and their site has gotten better, but it still seems awkward with the occasional down time that the site experiences.

may i know the error message that you are experiencing? It may not be the problem on the server, but rather on the site itself. Only error message can tell