What are the alternative to HyperVM?

chinahost

With HyperVM's future unknown what are the alternatives?

There seems to be a hole that HyperVM once fill.

Last edited:
There's many alternatives, but they lack much. There's always Virtuozzo, though it costs quite a bit more. We're all seeing a possible void to fill here. I don't mean to be insensitive(I spoke with Kt quite a few times in the past) but there is an opportunity here for someone to step up and fill his shoes.

That being said, it will no doubt take far more than 1 man to do what he did. http://www.vtonf.com/ looks promising..

You have the option of Xen too.

I've used openvz for a LONG time now and for the last week I've considered my options.. I'm seriously considering developing my own panel :) Consider the various commands root performs without a panel to control the node(s).. It wouldn't really be that hard to do.

HyperVM had many great features. IMO it overdid some things, yet lacked in other areas.. It seems to me that many developers hardly listen to feedback and give people what they want..

Why not have a panel that launches with a WHMCS module already.. Reloads, boot and usage all from within the client area.. Why not be able to autoprovision a VPS then automatically install the desired control panel?!

I'm what some mite call "an automation freak".. Although it takes longer at first, you save SO much time in the long run when you automate everything that makes sense.

Think at this point I'm just ranting. I guess I can't complain.. "If you don't like how someone else is doing something then do it better yourself".. So maybe one day.. :)

Well if you go for an automation module inside of WHMCS, keep me in the loop on that ;)

I've used Xen in the past, but we strictly use Virtuozzo at this point in our network. Handles everything the way we want. Throw cPanel or DA into the mix and users have a neat little package.

I had looked at OpenVM in the past but I can't remember why I didn't go that route. I know I was comparing Xen and OpenVM for a long time, but I've never made the move and stuck with Virtuozzo ;)

Well if you go for an automation module inside of WHMCS, keep me in the loop on that ;)

I've used Xen in the past, but we strictly use Virtuozzo at this point in our network. Handles everything the way we want. Throw cPanel or DA into the mix and users have a neat little package.

I had looked at OpenVM in the past but I can't remember why I didn't go that route. I know I was comparing Xen and OpenVM for a long time, but I've never made the move and stuck with Virtuozzo ;)

I'm stuck in a strange spot.. I've got VPS nodes deploying today, and I'm not doing and type of panel until I've got the time and can ensure it's a secure solution. I would absolutely love to get a WHMCS module together that supports both openvz and xen, but as I see it that would take roughly 2 weeks to do and I just don't have the time.

There's also the matter of a Virtuozzo module. Everyone at WHMCS' forum has been asking for it for a LONG time. I actually started on one last week. It got put on hold till I can get all my customers back online, but now it's looking more and more like Matt(WHMCS) will be doing a Virtuozzo module, so to finish up mine would be a complete waste of time.

Currently, we are thinking of switching too enomaly.com. I have a meeting set up with them tomorrow at 3 to discuss pricing and some other stuff :p

They seem to be stable and way better than HyperVM, but I will have to test them out and see if my first opinion of them is true.

More and more I'm leaning to Virtuozzo. Yeah, it's expensive compared to others, but you get what you pay for.

I personally never had problems with HyperVM, and I'd still use it if I was certain it would continue to be supported and was secure, but it's hard to say. Ever since the "Vaserv thing" hosts have been dropping it, but why? Is it because there WAS security vulnerabilities?

Many people, including myself have updated HyperVM and verified that it does in fact resolve the vulnerabilities. Vaserv said it was LXLab's fault, and that they updated just before the hack and were still hacked, but "the hacker" said it wasn't a zero-day vulnerability and that he was actually in their network 2 months ago.

Regardless of what the hacker said I think too many people are so easily letting LXLabs be Vaserv's scape goat. 4000 VPS down, what better thing to do to get the pressure off a bit than to blame someone else? Does it matter that Rus' password was "f0ster"? I think it does!

My point is that everyone's saying "HyperVM sucks" and all these bad things about KT(rip), but in reality he was a great developer, especially to do all he did as a 1 man show. And could everyone be making a BIG mistake here? Is it possible that Vaserv is at fault here and we could all be scrambling for an alternative when none is necessary?.. Yeah, it's possible.

Anyway, I think I went on a bit of a rant there. Like many others, I'm still not quite sure what to do, but http://forum.lxlabs.com/index.php?t=msg&th=12394&start=0& seems to give a good indication of where the HyperVM project is going..

Virtuozzo is the way to go :)

It's features, stability, and level of support leads me heavily to agree with you. But what of those who are completely content with openvz and simply need a simple panel for customers to perform simple taks like re/boot, rebuild, and view usage? I'm by no means a "partner" or a large enough provider to get substantial discounts, but I'm looking at $50/month for 10VEs and although I'd max out most nodes at 5-6, at 10 that's $45 more a month than with HyperVM.. To me it's worth the extra cost, but consider that many VPS customers will rarely even use the panel if they've got a fair knowledge of shell and/or have something like cPanel. I'd hate to pass that extra cost to customers if it's not truely needed.

For now I think everyone is just going to deal the best they can with things, and go for the best solution they can find :)

I'm personally waiting for deployment of a new batch of servers and since early this week I've been going back and forth between Virtuozzo and doing everything manually via openvz until I can find something that fits, or develop a custom solution.

However, I am currently in discussion with a developer of an existing open source panel who's recently started supporting the project again. This may or may not be "the solution" many are looking for as it will take some time for me to redesign everything and either get it integrated into WHMCS or a provisioning module in place..

Virtuozzo is an expensive option unless you have a partners portal and get the lower rates. cPanel is the same. $55-$65/month depending where you buy it, or if you're a partner you can get the cPanel rate dropped WAYYY down.

But by the time you add your control panel, the Virutozzo software, the server fees etc, there's very little money to be made on a handful of servers unless you're overloading them, and then that creates all sorts of NEW problems!

Fingers crossed you find a solution that works for you. Keep us in the loop.

As for KT, it would have been nice for him to stick around and answer to the claims by Vaserv that it was a HyperVM exploit, or if it was a security/management issue on the part of the hosting company. We may never know :(

Virtuozzo is an expensive option unless you have a partners portal and get the lower rates. cPanel is the same. $55-$65/month depending where you buy it, or if you're a partner you can get the cPanel rate dropped WAYYY down.

But by the time you add your control panel, the Virutozzo software, the server fees etc, there's very little money to be made on a handful of servers unless you're overloading them, and then that creates all sorts of NEW problems!

Fingers crossed you find a solution that works for you. Keep us in the loop.

As for KT, it would have been nice for him to stick around and answer to the claims by Vaserv that it was a HyperVM exploit, or if it was a security/management issue on the part of the hosting company. We may never know :(

If you're going to use Virtuozzo there's no doubt you have to structure things "just right", but you can make some money without overloading them. This is the obvious reason that you pay more for a Virtuozzo VPS. It's also very important that your provider(DC) works with you on license pricing :)

Virtuozzo doesn't really have a large(if any) presence in the budget VPS market, but that all depends on how the hosts does business :)

Yep, I agree. Very few VPS providers are providing Virtuozzo on a low end scale, but like you said, I guess it can depend how much of a loss a company wants to foot or if the host is building a client base.

The one that bothers me is VPS with cPanel and a memory allocation of 128MB (with, or without burst). The problem is that cPanel alone takes almost 128MB to run - and then the user is left complaining about slow responses on the server or potential crashes etc. But that's how marketing is done at some places :)

Has the experience with this VPS crisis enticed you to the Cloud Hosting world at all? Maybe that's a new thread :)