What do you do when you get spam?

Ez-Andrew

When running a web hosting company, and you start receiving spam and it counts as a ticket and you can't focus on your current clients tickets what do you do? Are there any anti-spam software that can be used?

Kind Regards,

Andrew

If you're using WHMCS, you can setup your support, billing, abuse, ect.. departments so that only email accounts that belong to clients can open a ticket when they email you. Leave the sales department so that anyone can email you and create a ticket, though. This will allow potential clients to still contact you and open a ticket in the sales department. This way at least you cut down on the SPAM a bit and you only have to deal with it on one department, and not all.

Are you receiving so much spam that it takes away from your regular tickets?

Don't stop and read it all. Just delete it and go.

Hello,

Also make sure that you have the Capcha form show unless a user is logged in.

Without using email piping we don't get any spam at all with WHMCS.

Jack

We don't get a lot of spam, so it literally only takes a few seconds each day to delete what does make it through.

We go a different route. No email is accepted into our helpdesk system. Clients must log in to submit a ticket (and to read a ticket). This ensures that if a developer is asking a question and the owner of the site then logs in to submit the same issue, they see the open ticket already and can add to it. It saves duplication tickets and wasted time that way too!

If users do send emails to "sales@" or "support@" they get an automated response to alert them of the proper method of reaching us. We've used this kind of setup since 2000 and never had an issue!

We go a different route. No email is accepted into our helpdesk system. Clients must log in to submit a ticket (and to read a ticket). This ensures that if a developer is asking a question and the owner of the site then logs in to submit the same issue, they see the open ticket already and can add to it. It saves duplication tickets and wasted time that way too!

If users do send emails to "sales@" or "support@" they get an automated response to alert them of the proper method of reaching us. We've used this kind of setup since 2000 and never had an issue!

We've thought about this but have been afraid that people would get frustrated and be turned off by the lack of the easy route (just sending the e-mail).

It's interesting to hear that it works fine for you. Maybe we'll look into it again.

We've thought about this but have been afraid that people would get frustrated and be turned off by the lack of the easy route (just sending the e-mail).

It's interesting to hear that it works fine for you. Maybe we'll look into it again.

I have also looked into this before and had the very same concerns.. I'm glad someone else shed some light on the subject and actually uses this method without problems. :thumbsup:

Using a CAPTCHA at ticket submission page is the best solution to avoid spam. I am sure WHMCS would have such option. Its a world class software for hosting.

Using a CAPTCHA at ticket submission page is the best solution to avoid spam.

<MOD NOTE: Signatures must be added through user profile.>

I think the best option would be link the ticket system to existing clients account only. If you do have the need for non-client to open ticket you can create another system for non-client use only. This is my idea..

Capcha is a nice solution for this types of spammers. And if you also agree with the login Id system that create much relevancy.

Some providers have a service called Barracuda to filter all incoming emails but if you go with this solution, be advised that some times this services block legitimate emails.

Personally, I either set up a new e-mail address.
But if you're looking to prevent future spam without changing your email address, or if you're looking to prevent spam on places like forums, then recaptcha is normally good.
Or you could set security questions.

If your ticket system is email based, then you must use CAPTCHA to avoid spam. In fact, it should be used even when you do not have spam problem.

I find that captcha doesn't always work.
Recaptcha on the other hand is a lot more secure.
Personally, from experience though, I have had bots even bypassing recaptcha.

Security questions, on the other hand, can never be bypassed by bots. Simply because they require a certain answer to a question that you set. Not auto set. ;)

When running a web hosting company, and you start receiving spam and it counts as a ticket and you can't focus on your current clients tickets what do you do? Are there any anti-spam software that can be used?

Kind Regards,

Andrew

If spammer create multiple ticket then first I merge his ticket then I block his email and delete his ticket.

and also I block his IP on my server.