What do you think about Master Reseller?

With good server management and CLoudLinux limits and a beefy server, Master resellers can be a very good niche market.

When you purchase a Master Reseller you have no control on the size of the server, so saying you need a beefy server is pointless.

i.e. someone could have a simple 5GB/200GB VPS and sell Master Reseller plans
What he have probably meant is the provider should have a beefy server not the user itself. In general you need have better servers when you run master reseller plans in other words when allowing to resell on multiple levels.

It would be a disaster waiting to happen if someone planning to run master reseller plans on a 5GB/200GB VPS.

That is a true fact, we find a lot of resellers don't have as much knowledge for setting up their own VPS or dedicated server which is why they go the route of reselling. This isn't always the case however we find it happens more often than not.

I don't really think so as most of the clients don't prefer or have the knowledge to manage a server with reseller plans.

Less and less are purchasing Master Reseller Plans.

I have a lifetime licence for WHMReseller which i have had 10 years and used to have 100 clients on MR spread over 3 servers and get approx. 20 new MR orders a month.
Now i only have 3 MR clients (the rest all moved to VPS) which i have on 1 server and never had a MR order in the last 4 years

Less and less are purchasing Master Reseller Plans.

I have a lifetime licence for WHMReseller which i have had 10 years and used to have 100 clients on MR spread over 3 servers and get approx. 20 new MR orders a month.
Now i only have 3 MR clients (the rest all moved to VPS) which i have on 1 server and never had a MR order in the last 4 years
It looks like you had some good SE rankings for MR related keywords as might have lost them overtime. Just a guess :D

We dont see much drop in MR order over the years.

It looks like you had some good SE rankings for MR related keywords as might have lost them overtime. Just a guess :D

We dont see much drop in MR order over the years.

No Idea, but my profits not changed much and as being a one man band it is better for me without all them as less to monitor.

The 3 i still have never ask for support and these are long term clients

Well it has sence only if you are really don't want to mess with administration,VPS licence is not expensive...I would preffer always server+license,even when it comes to dedicated servers license is not expensive and most providers offer it really cheap as server addon,for example our complete dedicated servers offer include cPanel+softaculous or fantastico+rv skin + cloudlinux or Plesk package(licence+softaculous+some other stuff)...in short you get dedicated server with all above preinstalled and configured + multi php selector,attracta,cloud flare..etc...and as I see almost all other providers offer the same or similar options.At the end you just have to maintain that server...if something happen you can't deal or you need install new feature on server you can always pay for menagment one hour or more.But I understand that there are people who don't want to mess with administration or they are strating business and want reseller solution till they collect some users and also some experience.What I can see from my experiece is that less and less people are buying reseller plans...and from all plans we sell,almost in 95% it is not master reseller.I'm not sure is same situation with other providers but in our case master reseller packages are very rare,mostly people buy reseller package and after some time they move to own server...simple jump over master reseller..

Last edited:
At the end you just have to maintain that server...if something happen you can't deal or you need install new feature on server you can always pay for menagment one hour or more.
Managing server with 500-1000 cPanel accounts won't be as simple as managing a server with handful of clients, specially when you run it with master reseller plans with high end hardware that end up hosting few thousand clients.

Managing server with 500-1000 cPanel accounts won't be as simple as managing a server with handful of clients, specially when you run it with master reseller plans with high end hardware that end up hosting few thousand clients.
If they reach 500-1000 cpanel accounts than they can pay for admin if they can't do it by them self...having reseller account,doesn't metter is it master or normal reseller,is always ment(at least should be for everyone) to be temp. solution not permament,reseller account is always risk,even if you select most trusted provider,not to mention limited privilegs and no server control.In my opinion it is good solution to start with,collect some users,and after company rech some level where they can afford own infrastucture..well they should go for.
I don't have anything against reseller accounts,we are selling both,regular and master,but I don't see it as anything more than temp. solution for starups.
When it comes to maintin own server,We have dual intel xeon 64 GB Ram for both cPanel and Plesk in EU,US east and US west,...yes it is not same as maintain some VPS with 30-40 accounts but also not so not so different,there is more work...24h monitoring but nothing to worry with good admin.
Like I say at that point when company reach that level it can afford itself to pay admins to maintain infrastucture.
At the end they will have to do it any way...doesn't metter do they know how to do it ,at some point simple there is too many work and you need some help.
So..in my opinion reseller accounts are good for strat with,after some point every hosting company should go for own infrastucture...and at the end how company growth, it will need more space to expand and reseller account will be wall for them.
And it is not only privilegs and server control,it is also metter of brand,reseller accounts almost have no control over third party plugins..external stores,no metter how you mask true server owner you can always find who owns server...well like I say reseller account is good for starting ...at some point all companies hit the wall with it..and at the end it should be like that,it natural for company to growth and expand.
If someone goal is to sell shared hosting forewer without expanding and learning than Ok,it is their choice..my point is that every company after some time can afford itself admin and own server,now will they do it..it is up to them.
I respect the fact that there are many hostmasters who just don't want to mess with infrastucture and reseller account is good for them.

Last edited:
If they reach 500-1000 cpanel accounts than they can pay for admin if they can't do it by them self...
Running a fleet of servers with thousands of clients is not as simple as "pay a admin if you cant do it your self", you need to have good management, backup, security policies written upfront and your own team of staff to manage it. You can't simply reply on 3rd party admins to when you host this much of clients.

Master Reseller is profitable in the long run. But you need to learn the market well. These days most of them are opting for this and therefore the competition is also high.

Running a fleet of servers with thousands of clients is not as simple as "pay a admin if you cant do it your self", you need to have good management, backup, security policies written upfront and your own team of staff to manage it. You can't simply reply on 3rd party admins to when you host this much of clients.
It is not 3th party admin..when you employ admin it is your admin,thats how things work..with growth you employ more and more people,but with reseller hosting you can't growth at all..well to some level you can but it is very limited.
My company provide hosting,VPS,and dedicated server on five continents.....and I started with local hosting company in 2010 selling shared hosting and vps in my country with 3.6 million citizens ..in that time our coutry had very poor internet market....even now it is poor,very little people buy online,in 2013 we expand to global market ..Company would be still there in 2010 without expanding own infrastucture,employing people etc...if someone want to be reseller forever,so be it ....but if want to growth than own infrastucture is must have,and at some point when company collect significant number of users ,moving to own infrastucture will cut costs...company can be more competitive....for example in our e-mail surveys many resellers told us that main reason to move to us was fact that we offer some very usefull free features like rDNS on reseller hosting for every dedicated IP,IP WHOIS for every dedicated IP.... up to 9 dedicated IP without asking questions(and submiting any forms) at same price we offer users who buy dedicated server and billed monthly..we provide free cpanel,cloudlinux,softaculous and rvskin or free Plesk,cloudlinux and softaculous licence with every dual E-5 XEON server....those are things that make different..and with todays competition it is more important than ever to have samo adventage,you can't offer that as master reseller...many things you can't provide at all at any reseller level.
Also I don't see fact that someone else is doing administartion and menagment for me as something positive,in 99% cases you don't have a clue who is behind,all reseller plans are very limited in every way...no control over overselling...well i could count till tomorow..and if I count positive sides..well there is only one..you don't have to mess with infrastucture..but I reapet I don't see even this as positive side,I really don't see reseller hosting as anything more than starting point ....
No company should be scared of growth and expanding,it is natural process,I don't even know even one company that started with reselling and stay on that level for while

Last edited:
but if want to growth than own infrastucture is must have

I agree with you, resellers are bad option when you get vps as low as $5 from reputable providers like digital ocean or linode. Also you can learn much from your own infrastructure, you cannot learn through reseller.

I agree with you, resellers are bad option when you get vps as low as $5 from reputable providers like digital ocean or linode. Also you can learn much from your own infrastructure, you cannot learn through reseller.
I think you would be much much better on a reseller account than on a $5/m VPS they are only good for testing and as you have have mentioned to learn stuff :)

If you really want to host clients on a VPS you should at least get a one with decent specs. Example:

4GB RAM
1-2 CPU's
100GB SSD Space

Cost: $25-60/mo ( Managed VPS)
cPanel - $15/m

Softaculous - 2/m

If you are going to offer a site builder it will also cost around $5-12/m

So total cost for per month would be around $50-75/m + you would also might need to spend some extra money for backups + Billing software etc.

This is why many hosts start their hosting business with a reseller account and remain as a reseller for many years.

I think you would be much much better on a reseller account than on a $5/m VPS they are only good for testing and as you have have mentioned to learn stuff :)

If you really want to host clients on a VPS you should at least get a one with decent specs. Example:

4GB RAM
1-2 CPU's
100GB SSD Space

Cost: $25-60/mo ( Managed VPS)
cPanel - $15/m

Softaculous - 2/m

If you are going to offer a site builder it will also cost around $5-12/m

So total cost for per month would be around $50-75/m + you would also might need to spend some extra money for backups + Billing software etc.

This is why many hosts start their hosting business with a reseller account and remain as a reseller for many years.

you can get free site builders like site.pro.

my main VPS that is managed costs me $70 a month, but i also have 2 under $10 VPS (unmanaged) that run just as good

you can get free site builders like site.pro.

my main VPS that is managed costs me $70 a month, but i also have 2 under $10 VPS (unmanaged) that run just as good
Yes offering a site builder can improve sales. Sitepro is good and SitePad would be better option if you are looking for a budget option :)