What do you value more, Webspace, or Bandwidth?

inverthost.com

What do you value more, webspace, or bandwidth? What do you need more, and what do you need less, or the same? Feedback needed, please vote and post. Thank you.

:santa: Happy Holidays!

Is this a trick question? ;)

I think it's going to depend upon the person you ask and how they place value.

From a pratical standpoint - space is much more limited in terms of amount available. A server can only hold so much space on hard drives before it runs out. With transfer it's a little different. Transfer is much less restricted because of space constraints and there are often options to upgrade lines. However, sites use more transfer than space in pretty much every case once they become active.

I think in the end you need them both and they're both valuable for various reasons. One could not function without the other.

Absoluely. This is like either you need fuel or tyres in your car. You need both. Ratio of their combination depends on individual needs. A site with 50 MB disk space may require 100GB of transfer.

Requirements assessment is the first task that must be done before search of hosting is initiated.

btw, space is getting cheaper day by day. I am waiting to see google offering 1 TB FREE :D

CrazyTech said:
I think in the end you need them both and they're both valuable for various reasons. One could not function without the other.

You can see a lot of hosts out there to bomb users with fantastic space/bandwidth offer. But is the whole thing all about? I understand someone may need 5 gigs of space and 100 gigs of bandwidth. But most people never use them.

You can see a lot of hosts out there to bomb users with fantastic space/bandwidth offer. But is the whole thing all about? I understand someone may need 5 gigs of space and 100 gigs of bandwidth. But most people never use them.

It's all about "bigger is better." If potential users see that they can get so much more at one host for the same price of a lot less at another host then guess who they'll most likely go with. Everyone's always looking for a bargain. The whole idea functions off of knowing that the vast majority of those who sign up for these accounts will never come anywhere close to using all of their space and transfer allotments.

It really depends on your need, if you have a large file with lots of users downloading it all the time BW would be more important. if you just need to host files/videos without downloading space is better. in general hard disk space is more expensive I think.

gwh23 said:
It really depends on your need, if you have a large file with lots of users downloading it all the time BW would be more important. if you just need to host files/videos without downloading space is better. in general hard disk space is more expensive I think.
That is why you always get more bandwidth and less disk space ;)

In the world of hosting business users require more bandwidth compare to webspace bcoz a 50 MB site may have 5000 visitors or more it depends on the site so one can judge the exact space required for the site but not the bandwidth.

euk-damien,

Excellent point. When I first read the question I was thinking the same thing. I find that bandwidth is more important do to the fact it can make or break you. If your site cannot be seen then your visitors are stuck with a billing page.

Where as, if you run close to space you can upgrade quickly. :)

with bandwith, if you run out, it suspends you-> bad. With web space, if you run out, your site is still somewhat functional ->not too bad.

I would say Bandwidth, the reason is that it is easier to control your web space use as it is you who decide how many files to load up to your host's server. Bandwidth, on the other hand, is not as easily controlled. Your site may suddenly get a good search engine ranking for a popular search term and receive a traffic boost, which will consume more bandwidth than you had originally planned.

definitley depends on what your doing, if your hosting an informational site then neither really matter (given that you have enough bandwidth to run the site), ifyour hosting a gaming site you'll need space for movies, and bandwidth for downloads... so typically when you need 1 you'll need the other... but nice poll

This is really going to probably be 50/50. This is because some need storage as they host alot of information and some needs bandwidth because they have lots of visitors.

I voted for both anyway.

This is because I plan on growing big so I prepare my self with alot of bandwidth and I also make sure I have enough storage so that I can kept growing.

That is one reason why I host my sites on a dedicated server.

For me, definitely bandwidth.
An example,

One of my sites releases a 1.7meg file about once a month and it gets about 60,000 hits in a very short space of time...not only does it need good bandwidth, but also a high traffic allowance...but thats an individual case.

Personally I need space. Regardless I always get a lot of bandwidth - that's just how it works and that's a good thing - but I look(ed) specifically for space. The forum and the graphics gallery eat a goodly amount of space even though they're still fairly small.

It was a tough one to answer. I value space more but the bandwidth is also important but you generally get a lot of it these days. So, given that, I voted for space.

KGIII