What forum do you use?

I love vBulletin, but I also discovered a new platform recently that I really liked. I lost the URL and could not find it since... It was actually one of the modules of the whole softaware.

vBulletin for a paid forum.
Best dollar for dollar forum is the free Simple Machines forum. SMF.

I use vBulletin. However, I've recently discovered MyBB, which, IMO, has potential to beat phpBB, IPB, SMF and others. Best of all, it's free! :D

Phpbb

Free boards why would you even want one? Because, for the features it has an the ability to customize it I like using phpBB. We have had good success when we have had forum boards up.

It depends. If it is a professionally driven board, used for something such as HD, or a revenue driven website, I would say vB.

Anything free/hobby/personal - phpBB.

Exon, just out of curiosity, have you used SMF?

I used to be a big phpBB fan and I still am but many of the useful mods from phpBB are now available for SMF and I find the SMF control panel to be far better, especially for bulk modifications.

Actually, no I haven't ever used SMF, haven't even heard of it until this thread.

The big reason I push phpBB is because most cPanel installs anymore have the "one click" option to install phpBB. I'll have to look into SMF though, I won't outright dismiss it - especially if the mods from phpBB are being converted over to SMF as well.

SMF has be growing rapidly in the last year.
Better security record than phpBB and more user friendly IMHO.
Best part is that it is also now a one click Fantastico install.

We use SMF for our site and some of the fun sites I run. We have a lot of customers running VB and IBP also and they are always happy. Pretty much anything but phpBB is what I like.

Blue said:
Best part is that it is also now a one click Fantastico install.

Is it really? I'll have to check that out tonight. Blue must be on the sales team for SMF ;)

Exon said:
Is it really? I'll have to check that out tonight. Blue must be on the sales team for SMF ;)

I used to think the same thing about a few people who were big fans of SMF in the earlier days. Turns out they were right.
Best of all I get 100% comission for all of this advertising.

Of course 100% comission on a free product doesn't pay the rent very well.

It seems that one of these days I'll have to take a closer look at SMF too. phpbb was a good learning experience, and served me just fine for my very limited needs.

I don't like hacking/modding, at least not the cases when it makes the process of upgrading the software a lot harder. Which is why I think I would prefer a forum software where more/most things come by default.

How is SMF from this POV?

I think it depends on what you need Dan.
I haven't looked at the latest version yet but as a general rule adding mods and upgrading has been an easier process with SMF than with other forums I've used.