What makes query language tough?

joseWebline#1

I'm studying Intro to databases and I'm surprised how tough querying can be sometimes.
I wonder what makes it tough?

Is it the language constraints? Or is it because it is too strict and formal?:confused::smash::crash:

I've done tons of development with SQL and I also used a unified development environment called 4D (4th Dimension).

I think there are two issues:

1) Defining the problem adequately. This is a fundamental tenet of software development but frequently overlooked.

2) Trying to do too much with a SQL query. What I've seen too often is developers who try to cram all their solutions into a single query. Depending on how you're driving your queries, there may be better ways to do it.

Remember, applications are nothing without their data. If you're dealing with SAN-connected data you're dealing in different query styles than you are with direct attached storage. either way you need to create responsive data to applications - so I don't think database is any more'difficult' than any other tech craft, I just think it's probably one of the more mysterious because nobody sees it but they sure feel the effects if it's done poorly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sus123