What server chassis does everyone use?

Steadfast Andy

Just curious to see what everyone prefers and why.... Are you guys a Dell, HP, IBM, or SuperMicro outfit? Or maybe you use one of the lesser well known brands like Athen, Rosewell, iStar, Ark, etc?

First time, most of peoples use Dell, HP because of Trust but next time when you will be going to purchase a new PC/server,etc then maybe you will prefer other brands.

Many peoples want onsite repair, etc so they chose Dell,HP.

Just curious to see what everyone prefers and why.... Are you guys a Dell, HP, IBM, or SuperMicro outfit? Or maybe you use one of the lesser well known brands like Athen, Rosewell, iStar, Ark, etc?

It depends on the industry and geographic location.

For the web hosting industry here in the USA you will find nearly everyone uses Supermicro chassis's & motherboards in conjunction with LSI RAID cards and typically WD hard drives (SSD's will likely be Samsung, Intel or Crucial).

As you move into Europe you will find the web hosting industry primarily uses HP & Dell, however over the past 12-18 months Supermicro has been making A LOT of headway and you are seeing more and more data centers move away from Dell/HP and over to Supermicro.

On the enterprise side of business, Dell pretty much dominates the market. HP has a bit of a market share, but nothing like Dell.

Personally I prefer using Dell as their iDRAC is awesome, but at the end of the day we use Supermicro almost exclusively as there are far more options for chassis's, etc. & faster to ship.

We use supermicro because of the quality and many compatibility options.
Accessibility of getting hands, sometimes arms, and components in/out is the most important. I've seen some chassis and cases where the metal frame would have burrs or really sharp edges, you could cut an artery or lose a limb trying to work it. Supermicro is always clean and well crafted.

I used to to and still have several 2u aluminium white box cases. So nice because you can upgrade the hardware and they are light so no rails are needed. But now I do mini Super Micros, no rails, and they can hold more than enough power for any need.

We use Dell PowerEdge 1u servers and they are pretty good. However, it's hard to ignore those supermicro's since they are quite a bit cheaper. Dell has more of a enterprise business image/feel and some clients prefer it... There are so many parts and configurations for supermicro it's unreal.

Hi,

Dell, HP, and IBM are on the topmost list of any system admin who suggest any hardware. The reason being, the quality of hardware and the trust and the performance.