What to do with a Windows VPS?

wh-coach

I'll be honest that this is market research for me but I'm hoping that I can get a few honest answers. I'm trying to evaluate the possibility of offering a Windows VPS (a few people have asked about them) but I'm having a very hard time understanding what people actually DO with them.

1) Website hosting options seem much more abundant in the Linux world

2) Game servers are a bit too resource intensive so that doesn't seem to make sense

To me, the answer to "what to do with a Windows VPS" always seems to come down to "convert it to Linux and get on with it"... but there must be applications. I just don't know what they are?

I think majority of the people who are using Windows VPS use it for storing or accessing files remotely. Very few might be there who use it for website hosting or playing games.

Overall we get many clients asking for Windows VPS only for a GUI, so that they can use it as their Computer desktop.

I suspected as much. I've received a couple of PM's on the topic as well from people who didn't want to comment in public.

There used to be much ado about legacy line of business application hosting (i.e. when Windows NT fell out of support) but that never really seemed to take off in a broad sense. My suspicion is that one needs a wedge into a particular vertical market that relies on some legacy app to do their thing. In those cases I can see why customers would (a) want the GUI and (b) be happy to host it as a VPS provided one could find media and licensing for antique software.

What I use Windows VPS's for is actually for my private computing. I find it easier to keep files/windows open on a VPS that will be up 24/7 (to take any disconnections away) so I know my work will always be there.

I've known many users to use Windows VPS's to host emulators for their websites, as well as mining different things. Both of which, isn't truly safe to do on your personal computer, and needs a good stable CPU in order to operate.

If you're weary of hosting Windows VPS's/don't know how to manage them, I would NOT host them. Windows VPS's are known to have different bad scripts ran on them. You don't want IP's going down the drain/your servers.

Good thing for my business you guys don't have a clue. I guess the philosophy around here is "if it can't be done with cpanel, don't do it"

Good thing for my business you guys don't have a clue. I guess the philosophy around here is "if it can't be done with cpanel, don't do it"

That's not how I think at all, that's what the general VPS user thinks. Most of the time the client wants one thing, to be able to make more money.

The comments above are from hosts, not clients!

True! Didn't think about it like that, but I guarantee you, they're speaking in terms of there past experience as a Windows VPS user. Sure, they may be a host now, but they wouldn't know what to do with it without trying it first!

A windows VPS is functionally the same as a windows dedicated server.
What can you run on a windows VPS?

• Virtual desktops
• File servers
• Microsoft Office products
• Mail servers
• Web servers
• Development servers
• Database servers

Some companies use a windows VPS as a remote multi-user solution for their billing software.

Of course, the overall cost will probably be higher to run a windows VPS due to licensing, but if you're developing in ASP, this is the way to go.

If you're looking for strong integration with open source programming languages, then Linux is probably the better solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sus123