What's in a name?

Freckled

Just out of curiosity how many of you have ever not chosen or have chosen a hosting company based on the name of that company?

I know I have tended to not go with companies sometimes based on a name or the way the site looks instead of the important things they may have had to offer and so wondered if that was common.

Even though it could be wrong, I do this all the time.

For the name, I wouldn't do it so much. If there was a company called spammerhost then I wouldn't go with them over a host called reliablehost.
That might be a bit way out there..but you get my meaning ;)

I wouldn't go with a company if they had a very bad designed website. It's like going into a shop that sells food, which is covered in dirt. It is the first impression that shop gives you.
With an online business, you want a company that has a well designed, professional looking website.
Well I like to see that anyway ;)

Thats the same for me, if I see an unprofessional looking webhost site then I run the for the hills, I don't want to be run out of town by cowboys. :D

That gives me an idea.

would anyone like to join me and set up a company with a domain name:

www.bandwidthforbabes.com :D

You sign up with us and you will get the chance to go out with a gorgeous looking model for a whole year. ;)

Hehe you will have to cut costs on the design and oversell like mad to make enough to pay a model to go out with the winner ;)

Even thought it may be wrong, I would say most people would go by impression, be it from the name or site design.

John Diver said:
Hehe you will have to cut costs on the design and oversell like mad to make enough to pay a model to go out with the winner ;)

Even thought it may be wrong, I would say most people would go by impression, be it from the name or site design.

Well I didn't mean a real model. A cut out will do. ;)

Too funny about the cut out!

I am the same way about site design, one of my pet peeves is when people center text and they have a sentence a mile long and then the rest of the sentence being 2 words is on the next line. So unprofessional and I just click next when I see it.

I always badger the customers that ask for my help on a site about that so usually teach them to center text since that is what they like but left align which to me looks much more professional. I hate it on personal sites too but can over look that but not on a business site. grrrr!

However, site design is cheap nowadays, it's not a reliable indicator of whether a host is really reliable or not.

diginode said:
However, site design is cheap nowadays, it's not a reliable indicator of whether a host is really reliable or not.

It might not be a reliable indicator, but in today's society people have to make quick decisions and some of the decisions can be as shallow as not going with a company because the first impression that they get from a poorly designed website.