What's most important to a reseller?

floatingpoint

What's most important to a reseller shopping around to find a host to buy from?

What do you look for: cheapest, biggest, oldest, most plans, unlimited domains, cpanel skins, billing systems, etc etc etc.

Thanks in advance! :D

I never compare price when it comes to deciding on a hosting provider, shared, reseller or dedicated.

I look for a reputable and established provider who has a great track record in providing high quality services and support.

When buying a reseller package I would look for the "best value", taking into terms price point, size of space/bandwidth, domains etc.

I also like to have the option to brand my control panels for my own customers. Large amounts of domains/databases are also beneficial.

I would say support, its the most important thing, without support (and ofcorse uptime) you will lose whatever customers you have and destroy any kind of reputation u'v got.

Price and features factor into it. Obviously you would want to be able to make a profit from the account.

Quick responses to support and QUICK notifications when something is not normal. Price is next and then last is probably value added features.

Alberto said:
Quick responses to support and QUICK notifications when something is not normal. Price is next and then last is probably value added features.
What do you guys consider "quick" response time? 10 minutes, 2hrs, etc?

floatingpoint said:
What do you guys consider "quick" response time? 10 minutes, 2hrs, etc?
usually 30 mins and less, if its a dedicated server then thats hows the response time should be. for a reseller anything under 1 hour is fine.

If it is tickets then anything under 3 hours is quick.

But if a server or service is down, the company would need to post on their forum that they are aware of the problem and that someone is looking at it, within 10 minutes.

Alberto said:

100% accurate, fast response is a must for resellers. You want to be able to tell your customers whats wrong right away, they dont like to hear we are looking into it... 4 hours later, still looking :(

Under 1 hour is a good response time, also avoid reseller plans like Unlimited Domains, Huge Disk Space, and Huge Bandwidth limits... these servers are destined for downtime...

I would also encourage you to ask for uptime reports from the host, uptime is not an accident. It comes from quality hardware and proper maintanece. If the provider wont show you uptime reports or claims they are unavailable, walk away and dont look back!

oswebhosting said:
...also avoid reseller plans like Unlimited Domains, Huge Disk Space, and Huge Bandwidth limits... these servers are destined for downtime...
I don't know - I've hosted with a couple resellers who had unlimited domains and I never had any problems. I think it comes down to the TOS the reseller has with the parent host. I would NOT want to host with someone who has Unlimited domains and allows resellers to offer "Free Hosting" programs - now THAT's when you're asking for trouble, imho :)

I offer unlimited domains on my plans and have no load problems on my servers. All resellers are allowed to fit as many domains in their disk space and bandwidth quotas as they want. I can't see why you would possibly want to limit you customers to the number of domains. Now if you allowed overselling, obviously you wouldn't one someone paying $15 a month and hosting 500 domains, thats just bad business.

We are Server Admins and we sell reseller packages so I'm on the other side of the fence. What I would advise is that people never buy hosting or reseller accounts from hosting companies that do not have a phone number.

When it's an emergency and for example your email or server is down how on earth do you expect to contact them if not by phone???

Rob

Well I've tried both.

The toll free number increased my calls but it was TOO easy for people to call for the smallest problem - customers didn't seem to think for themselves or check the faq's or video tutorials on the site before they just picked the phone up and made their free call.

We now work off a 10ppm number which noticably decreased calls (we switched around 2 years ago) - but increased the quality of the calls.

As the business has grown (we have over 1000 customers with multiple sites) we have increased the quality of our 'self-service' help - with faq's and video tutorials which has kept the level of phone calls to a manageable level.

I think the main point is that you're contactable by phone when/if theres a problem.

Rob

One thing to keep in mind is a phone number that does nothing but connect you to voice mail is only good for sales and that is only when the calls are promptly returned.

I honestly prefer an active live support system then I do phone service. actually I MUCH more prefer it then phone.

My most important goals consists of two.. Uptime and Customer Support. All reseller customers rely on your company to provide their hosting company with their company in your hands.. Customer support is also important because not all resellers know what they are doing, but the customers also don't have access to areas that they sometimes need access to in order to solve technical issues..

I agree with some of the others. Support is the biggest most important thing. Then uptime, then prices and space etc.

Decent Support is a must, Id say when searching you would look for uptime What DC etc. But the toucghest thing is you wont know if you found "What you were looking for" until you have actually signed up, So its a 50/50 really searching for reviews is probaly a wise idea.
Regards