What's the next new wave?

For a while there it appeared to be VPS, but that seems to have fizzled out a bit. What do you think is the next big technology wave in shared web hosting?

Well, if I had to guess, I would say free shared hosting. I know it has pretty much been around forever, but now it is increasingly popular. More and more people are making free hosts that are just as good as a paid host.

EDIT: I shouldn't get excited, but maybe there will be free dedicated hosting :)

You may be right about that, but Geocities and all have been around for quite a long time.

I dont see any motivation for free dedicated server, and besides, who would actually want to rely on a free dedi anyways?

I highly doubt free dedicated will ever grace your eyes. Free shared is not really that big I mean geo cities and freewebs and all that but thats not premuim hosting, thats domain.com/dir/user or something like that its not domain its not cpanel its not plesk. Free webhosting is something I can see getting bigger but I dont see it getting much bigger.

I think mobile and pda access etc - better integration for mobile users for communication . . .

I think the next phases of internet hosting will be geared to streaming video etc.. I would advise you to read "the way ahead" - bill gates. Fantastic book.

I think, next wave will be handling active websites created by free shared hosting providers. Probably they will supply some additional tools for handling current traffic and more.

Sachiel said:
I think, next wave will be handling active websites created by free shared hosting providers. Probably they will supply some additional tools for handling current traffic and more.

You mean like bravenet or like that? That has been around for a long time.

space and bandwidth requirements of customers are going up at a alarming rate.. so that is something else that hosts need to consider...
free hosting has been around for a long time, but i think we might see something different now since google has entered the web hosting market, maybe they will give a accoun similar to a gmail account... space increases constantly...