When a Host Has Few Reviews

purple

I've run across a couple hosting companies that have been in business for a couple years and yet have only a few reviews, often one positive and one negative except on their "testimonial page" where I expect they only post the good. A quick Google doesn't show any complain blog posts or what not, but does that mean they are worth trying out or would you pass for something with more off-site reviews?

I've been in business six years, and have less than three reviews at different sites (and no testimonial page - I know how many people pad or outright fake those, so neither Scribehost nor The Living Media has a testimonials page.)

Having lots of reviews just means that they have placed a premium on getting their customers to review them. Having no or few reviews may mean that they haven't had many customers...or that they don't actively solicit their customers to review them. I personally have looked at reviews for various products/services in the initial selection process, but used them like "tiebreakers" - if two products or services seem equally good and I can't decide between them, the product which has more positive, non-perfunctory-sounding reviews may get my business.

I've freelanced for companies that spoke of "mining Wikipedia and forums", though, so I know that social networking is no guarantee of quality. It's more talk - which may or may not be true. You've always got to consider the source.

Test our there support before sign up. Make sure they provide you with everything mentioned or your in the right for a refund.

I'm with Lesli on this.
A very small percentage of hosts actually have reviews at all.
Many have on site testimonials which are always dubious but many are just out there doing their job without the need for public proclamations.
There are some very big hosting companies which you would never find a forum review of.

I find that a lot of these companies that rely on review sites are paid reviews which have little value anyway.

Smal web hosting companies are great, they are trying to get up in the game and will do anything for another customer.:) But don't abuse them, it will haunt you:)

-Nick

No reviews can be a good sign, because typically people are usually more motivated to write a negative review, than any at all.

I wouldn't base my decision on any host with a numerical amount of reviews, but some reviews can be good. The best ones to look for are in forum threads, typically brought up by word of mouth by the customer..

Last edited:
I think if you like company and you feel it can satisfy all your needs diffenatelly give a try. Even if you do not have any reviews on them.

I agree that a host shouldn't be based solely on their reviews ( unless there is nothing but evil spoken of them)

Diligent stated " No reviews can be a good sign, because typically people are usually more motivated to write a negative review, than any at all."

This may not be entirely accurate, as many people who have experinced the worst types of hosts, may be motivated to write glowing reviews about a new host after they switch, because they actually get the level of service they were promised....

This may not be entirely accurate, as many people who have experinced the worst types of hosts, may be motivated to write glowing reviews about a new host after they switch, because they actually get the level of service they were promised....

You raise a good point. While this may be very true in some cases, studies have shown that it takes more positive reviews to offset a negative one. This however turns into a topic of psychology, rather than one about hosting, but I've included some references below. I was originally told about this by some of my professors at my university.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071004135757.htm
http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?article_id=218393029&cat=1_7
http://news.uns.purdue.edu/Clips/2005/dec/051226.Moods.html
http://opentheword.org/content/view/891/77/

Last edited:
You bring up a good point not only for hosting but most any company out there for any product or service. Some companies will have more good than bad, or the other way around and yes they can all be fake as its not that hard to do. I have some reviews from my own clients but we prefer to just keep them around the office and not post on the web.

I mostly was looking for forum reviews of a couple of the hosts, but found none, which struck me as odd for newer hosts. I know a couple that I found on another site through their cheap introductory offer had pages of reviews from customers either supporting or not. I value forum threas as they are often mroe candid and have less restrictions than a formal review. But even on forums where these companies are members and have posted offers and specials there are simply no reviews. I wasn't sure if that was normal.

There is a lot of truth in that people are more motivated to write negative than positive reviews. I read that there are something like ten bad reviews for every positive review-so to have just three good reviews is really a wonderful thing.

Go for those without a known bad reputation.

or would you pass for something with more off-site reviews?

Rather than choosing blindly, yes. But if the person that did say something about the company is a person I especially trust, and has had a long experience with the company, I would put a lot of weight on his/her words.

some reviews are paid sites -- so watch out for those - also most people if they are happy do not say anything -- so little reviews does not mean bad -- it actually might mean excellent - no complaints :)

If you are interestyed in certain company's services - create ерокуфв on the forum and ask what do people think oof them. Of the more than five people people say - its crap, do not go with it, but if it is worth, people on the net know that for sure and will share their opinions with pleasure...

AM I right, mates?

A host with few reviews doesn't necessarily mean that they're a bad host. See what you can find about them even 1 or 2 reviews is better than nothing and test out their support by asking them some pre-sales questions.