Where do you buy your servers from?

TheNetway

For those users who collocate their servers or who run there own collocation operation for dedicated sales, who do you buy your servers from? I've heard of RackmountMicro, however from what a close friend has told me, the hardware can be faulty on most orders, and issues with ram came up, and even had a hard drive crash. So who do you use?

Thanks

I just wanted to personally make a comment on our hardware. All of our servers are put through a thorough burn in process of 6-24 hours which tests the RAM, CPU, HDD, motherboard and other various parts included in our systems. Of the 415 systems we have produced over the past 10 months, we have had 5 RMAs. We have several happy clients that can vouch on this fact as well.

Although they are put through those tests, that doesn't mean they won't fail over time. I was personally put on a server manufactured from RackmountMicro, and the hard drives failed, leaving 1/3 of our customers data gone. Luckily we did backups though. But just to let you know, and as we have discussed, I do plan on doing business with you still for the amount of servers discussed. I have to test you out for myself, because it is a possibility that the company that I leased the server from screwed up on the inital install of the OS and whatnot.

We recently purchased a server off rackmountsetc.com and plan on purchasing a couple more very shortly.

TheNetway said:
I was personally put on a server manufactured from RackmountMicro, and the hard drives failed, leaving 1/3 of our customers data gone. Luckily we did backups though.

I've never used RackmountMicro, currently all of the equipment I use is HP/Compaq with a couple of token IBM and Dell servers. But HDD failures are a fact of life, they will fail. Its never a question of if, but rather when. Now there are things you can do to improve your odds such as using SCSI and RAID, but even then eventually you will have a drive go south.

:dance: I just built a 1u budget server for a article on my website. The server specs are AMD Athlon 64 +2800 with 1 gig of ram and a 80 gig hard drive. The total server cost was $580 with shipping.

I also have a Dell PowerEdge server with a P4 2.5ghz 1 gig of ram and dual ATA 133 160 gig hard drives running Raid 1. The budget server is running Centos 3.5 64 bit and the Dell is running Centos 3.5 32bit and the Budget server is 70% faster than the Dell. I have over $1,200 in the Dell :crash: and the budget server blows its doors off. From now on I think I am going to stick to building my own servers.

RackMountsmicro.com
Rackmountsetc.com
Qsol.com
Dell.com

Those are the only people I would buy from.
Probably mostly from Qsol and Dell because of their awesome specials.

RandyT said:
RackMountsmicro.com
Rackmountsetc.com
Qsol.com
Dell.com

Those are the only people I would buy from.
Probably mostly from Qsol and Dell because of their awesome specials.

humm ya but you do get more if you build yourself , dont you agree ?

Dells are probably one of the best if not the best

That's true, that's why probably the providers who provide Dell their prices are more expensive than the providers who customize them themselves.

ServerTweak.com said:
I build them myself , better this way ..

i go to my local fry's and get what i need, cases in the other hand i have to order online.

Hmmm why don't you share this with us ...
I would also create my own server ...
oh by the way ... I would like the other infos ...
If I put my web server on my des just beside my computer what's next to get it hooked to the net and what do I need to do/have ...
IP ... Connection etc etc

thanks

hided_cluster
If you have a new question that you would like answered, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum. Please do not steer discussion on one thread off course. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting