Which backup software do you prefer?

KurotaTakumi

Hi, guys

It is important that a hosting should include the backup service. VPS usually provides the snapshot service. How about the dedicated server? Do you prefer offsite backup or backup to another disk? I prefer the offsite backup. I know there are some offsite backup software which are compatibility to cPanel. For examples, cPremote, r1soft and Restore Manager 3. Do you know any software with friendly UI, easily operate likes above and share to us? :)

Idera R1Soft has a decent interface. Most of the others I believe are run by cron jobs & directly editing files.

Idera R1Soft has a decent interface. Most of the others I believe are run by cron jobs & directly editing files.

R1soft is great. But the end-user can't restore their mysql backup via cPanel. It must be done by admin. I hope the new release which can be added this feature.

True - I don't have much experience with the others you mention, but I don't think they have the ability to do so either.

Ideally however, we like to restore databases to be sure it's done correctly, and usually we restore to an alternate name, then change any configuration files, that way we're not overwriting the current database should the backup not be usable.

What are good offsite backup to use? I have the backups saved to server and my computer now, would like to have somewhere else as a 'Just in case".

What are good offsite backup to use? I have the backups saved to server and my computer now, would like to have somewhere else as a 'Just in case".

Well, it is a good question. I think that choose the backup software not only the features but also the support. And the cost is also in the margin of my consideration.

It depends on how many servers you are running and how much resources you have. Usually our customers don't like to spend lot of compute resources on generating and archiving files and then sending them to a offsite backup. My advice is to experiment around (with your data obv) and use the best one that suits you. Hosting on reseller is different that hosting a whole data centre. We offer a couple of products, maybe they'll interest you.
Good luck

Hi, guys

It is important that a hosting should include the backup service.
It might be nice to have your hosting service do backups for you, but I don't really consider that to be important. I believe that backups of my sites are ultimately my responsibility.

Nearly every site I have is based on WordPress, and I manage my own backups. I have had only one occasion to ask for a restore from my webhost (as a result of my own stupid mistake), and I found that their backup was less complete and no more recent than my own.

There are several ways to backup and restore a website, but WordPress can be a bit tricky because of the need to set up, restore, and then edit (if you are migrating to either a new host or new domain), the MySQL database. The first time I migrated a site to another host, I did everything manually, including setting up the target database and running an SQL script to rename stuff to the names used by the new host. It took me 4 tries to get it right, over a period of 2 days (and I'm a programmer by trade!). It wasn't one of my more important sites, thank goodness -- and the learning experience was worth the time invested, even though I don't ever plan to do that manually again.

Since that time, I bought a developer's license to Backup Buddy, which does everything I previously did by hand, mostly (but not completely) automatically. By taking care of the hardest and most error-prone parts of a backup and restore, it saves an enormous amount of time. Just last week, I migrated a site to a new domain in under a half-hour. Knowing how much has to be done to make that happen, I consider the money I spent on Backup Buddy to be well-spent.

I keep all of my WP backups on my local system, so that no matter what happens to the hosting service, I can come back online quickly.

We use cPremote over NFS to different storage servers. Since it's fully compatible with cprestore and doesnt use much ressources, this solution works for us :)

Idera (formerly r1soft) Server Backup is what we use. While the end user of a shared hosting account cannot restore a MySQL database without our assistance, they can restore all of their other files should they need to.

We're using a customized backup solution. We wrote it in house. We could not justify spending the kind of money for R1soft and it didnt meet the requirements we had.

Seems you're talking about server backup. R1soft is mostly used for the industry. Mcafee is also used for my previous company and did well with my experience.