Which FTP do you use ?

kothar64

Most of the time I use my cpanel for everything, but my friends advised me to use ftp softwares as they are faster compared to cpanel uploads.
Before using ftp software, I tried a couple of things:
First thing I used was IE, You can login to your ftp account by using the following url,
www.username.password@yoursite.com
This url will directly go to the files of your site, and your files are displayed like those displayed in your browser.
Then I tried Fire ftp, It worked somewhat better, but It dint upload all my files in a directory,
Which ftp do you people use ?
And Which one do you advise me to use ?

Cpanel is great, but I ONLY use it for 1-5 file changed or uploading. Imagine uploading 100 files.. and using Cpanel :p that would be brutal. It's best to use a FTP client and these days, there's TONS and TONS of them out there. The big ones I can remember off the top of my head are CuteFTP (Paid) and SmartFTP (free). There both great FTP client software :)

I have been a very loyal user of CuteFTP program, until recently when I tried SmartFTP - its just an amazing and light program that does the job extremely well.

Artashes said:
I have been a very loyal user of CuteFTP program, until recently when I tried SmartFTP - its just an amazing and light program that does the job extremely well.

Another SmartFTP lover here :D Generally things are handled through dreamweaver's FTP portion or putty (SSH) for me though.

The reason why I stopped using SmartFTP, was the new suer interface. I have an older version on my older PC and that one is great. However, the newer one just didn't suit my needs. I tried CuteFTP and back then I didn't like it, however it's pretty good, well atleast the newest version is better. I really like the user interface, but I don't know which one has more features.

Well, I used SmartFTP religiously for quite a while, but then I began having all sorts of problems with subfolders not being uploaded and eventually it threw an error on an upgrade that I could never get rid of even when I reinstalled.

I started looking and found Filezilla. It's the best FTP program that I have ever used by far.

SmartFTP seems to do the trick just fine for me, it's nice, light, with fairly intuitive controls, and hasn't let me down once so far, knock on wood.

I back everything up and have quick enough access to other FTP programs and I make sure to test everything after it has been moved via FTP, so I'm not really prone to a "you should've paid for better quality" speech down the road if it ever messes up on me.

Ipswitch Ws_FTP works the best -- but today all ftp software works good

i also use forefox FTP and that work good

What I normally do to speed up transferring files if zip them up, FTP the zip file and then expand the zip file via cPanel's file manager. It saves a fair bit of time due to the amount of handshaking that FTP needs to do to work.

I have used FlashFXP for years and would never use anything else. I think it performs great, but as always it is personal preference.

i used fireftp within firefox and was surprised on how easy and simple it is -- and how it just works -
although my fav is WS-FTP

I know i said earlier that i use SmartFTP but since i posted that, i have changed software to WinSCP. Its much better and its never times out which is good. I can also access the entire server if needs be :)