WHMCS License Type

CaptainBlueBear

I have purchased a small hosting company. The seller was paying monthly for WHMCS (with branding) for 3 years. Seems to me it makes more sense to buy the "Owned License."

I don't really even expect to want or need neither support nor upgrades after a year.

Is there any reason for me not to buy that license?

Thanks.

If you're not going to last over a year using it, why would you buy the owned license? Just pay the monthly lease fee, it will be less money out of your pocket. ;)

No I plan to keep it for several years, I just meant that regarding upgrades and support I don't think I will ever be interested to purchase those, after the first year of support ends...

No I plan to keep it for several years, I just meant that regarding upgrades and support I don't think I will ever be interested to purchase those, after the first year of support ends...

When a new version of WHMCS comes out again (which happens pretty often), you will need to upgrade your current version, for sure... I do NOT recommend you stop upgrading your WHMCS installation, and having support is always a plus. That being said.. Do what you think is best for your company.

Updates are generally done for security reasons.
If you do not keep your installation current you are risking your server and all client data.

If you are going to buy it, you should do owned providing it is going to be worth your while.

You can purchase an owned license. I believe licensepal.com has an option where you can upgrade to the latest version for 9.95 USD. But verify this first, as I am not 100% sure.

I am using the unbranded leased license of WHMCS bought through licensepal.com myself.
It might cost me more in the long run, but you can grab the latest updates when they are available.
And you are always free to switch to something else when you feel the need for it.

We also have the WHMCS with branding. For us, we would prefer to pay the $20.00/mth vs. buying it out right just in case we ever decide to change our back end client portal/billing system.

I will also advice you to continue paying monthly instead of buying the perpetual (owned) license.
With the monthly license, your script may be upgraded for free whenever there is a new update.
Updates are not just for security reasons as I have just read. The WHMCS team is adding exciting new features each 3 - 4 months and releases them into the updates. It will be a real loss of money if you do not profit of these features. ;)

If you buy the lifetime license, the updates are free for the first year, after that you will have to pay $44,95 each year to get the updates.

We bought the owned license after a year. It was a good idea to try it out as a trial for a year just to be sure it worked as promoted. I recommend buying the brand free owned license if you can actually afford it.

Hope that helps .

I have purchased a small hosting company. The seller was paying monthly for WHMCS (with branding) for 3 years. Seems to me it makes more sense to buy the "Owned License."

I don't really even expect to want or need neither support nor upgrades after a year.

Thanks.

I would buy it. It is well worth it..

When a new version of WHMCS comes out again (which happens pretty often), you will need to upgrade your current version, for sure... I do NOT recommend you stop upgrading your WHMCS installation, and having support is always a plus. That being said.. Do what you think is best for your company.

Version 4.5 is out now.

Thanks.

Even with upgrades, you save down the road. I have a good feeling WHMCS will be active for quite a few years - enough to make the owned license save you some money. Do the calculations, and if you end up expecting to be in business long enough to start saving from an owned license, then I'd suggest you get it.

If you expect to be in business after 16 months then an owned license would make more sense. $249.95/$15.95=16months