WHMXtra

dacsoft

Has anybody tried the latest version of WHMXtra? The product has been improved considerably since being aquired by the owner of CPSkins. One of the features that I really like is that it allows me to give some additional control to the support team without giving them all root access (i.e., whmXtra allows modification the APF deny_hosts file from inside whm).

Disclaimer - I am not associated with WHMXtra or CPSkins.

It makes searching logs very easy from the WHM interface.

You can install and edit the APF configuration, deny, and allow folders. You can restart APF from the WHM interface.

You can install SIM, Mytop, chkrootkit, rkhunter, and other scripts.

You can actually view and edit httpd.conf.

I understand each of these are easily done in SSH. But having the functionality in WHM makes is a lot easier. As I said earlier, I really like the fact that my primary support teams don't have to use shell access for many tasks.

Searching logs is a heck of a lot quicker in ssh:

grep something /var/log/somelog

Can't get much faster than that ;)

xion said:

not if you dont have ssh open :)

It's not for everyone - but if you only have whm open - it really does save time.

xion said:

It doesn't replace shell, but does make it easy. I also like the way it reviews logs because I can scroll forward and back. Grep is only better for searching - not reviewing.

I haven't used it before but am considering it. WHat sort of stuff does it do? Make common tasks easier and provide an alternative to SSH?

you still need to know what you are doing - but if you knwo what you need to do - it can help greatly negating the need to log into ssh a lot of the time.