Why do we pay domain name registrars?

debayo

Sometimes I wonder why we need to pay registrars for the domain name every year. Is there a way that someone can buy a domain for life? What would the price of that be?

Personally I prefer to renew my domains every year. There is chance that you don't need your domain anymore and want to release it. With the current system, you can release your domain by simply not renewing it.

Indeed, if you are paying one-time fee and don't need the domain name, you will lose a big amount. Better to pay every year as a renewal fees.

Because this is how this business is organized. There are expenses to have Internet. It is a product of human activity, not a free gift. ICANN has to create business environment, not a "free" web addresses. When anything is free, people do not appreciate it.

You don't have to pay to renew domain names every year. You are normally given an option to purchase multiple years at discounts. :D

I also like paying just for one year, or few years for domains I want heavily promoted since I've heard that Google additionally likes domains that are surely there to stay.

Our registrar offers the option to purchase up to ten years at a time. If one is planning to keep their site forever, pretty much, then a ten year purchase is not a bad idea.

10 year plans are of the norm these days, but I have seen a few hosting companies offer "for life" type deals where you purchase web hosting and they'll continue to renew your domain for live (for free). This brings up the question of what happens if the registrar is not around, but that's another thread ;)

The other item that I want to caution people about is renewing each year - this can be bad for SEO. Google gives weight if it looks like your site will be around for a longer period of time - so setting it to renew for 2 years, or extending your site out to be at least 2 years away from renewal can help with SEO on your site.

Why would 1 year renewals affect SEO? Are you saying it's due to the expiration date?
I would think it would be based more on 'creation date' since it tells the search engines how long the site's been around...

Age of a domain is a determining factor also - the older it is, the more perceived authority that it has, however the expiration date has been playing a role in things now too.

This is something that was released by google a few years ago:

Certain signals may be used to distinguish between illegitimate and legitimate domains. For example, domains can be renewed up to a period of 10 years. Valuable (legitimate) domains are often paid for several years in advance, while doorway (illegitimate) domains rarely are used for more than a year. Therefore, the date when a domain expires in the future can be used as a factor in predicting the legitimacy of a domain and, thus, the documents associated therewith.

Google has never openly stated that they do not use this as a determining factor, however they have never denied it either. You'll find plenty of information on the web for both sides of the argument (just like everything else with SEO) :)

I agree that both the age and the expiration date of the domain play an important role in this matter. I would suggest that at least at the first time you register your domain, register it for two or three years instead of one year only.

Thanks for your input guys! I now see the wisdom of the present system. Indeed, there are more pros and cons. But I didn't realize there are ten-year renewals these days. I'm also surprised about Google's preference for domain names with long renewal periods.

Age of a domain is a determining factor also - the older it is, the more perceived authority that it has, however the expiration date has been playing a role in things now too.

This is something that was released by google a few years ago:

Google has never openly stated that they do not use this as a determining factor, however they have never denied it either. You'll find plenty of information on the web for both sides of the argument (just like everything else with SEO) :)

Hi Conor,

I know we talked about this topic before and I know there is no exact number and, like everything else with SEO, we have to guess. But what does your experience tell you when it comes to domain expiration date? How long do you think is enough to trigger good mood from Google - 2, 3, 5 years? I know that longer than 5 years is nor practical nor cheap, so...?

Last edited:
In some registrars,you cannot enjoy discount even multiple years' purchase or renewal. Maybe some others will do. As for the issue why we pay registrar for domain,I think it is the price of services they provided but actually not domain itself.

Hi HostEase! I think the way I worded my initial thread has caused some confusion. I'm not questioning the payment for registrars. I'm questioning why it has to be done yearly. For example, can't a well-established company buy its own domain name for life?

Anyhow, the points raised by the participants here have clarified my thinking about this matter. Besides, renewal can now be done automatically. All that an owner has to do is make sure that his credit card information is updated all the time.

Renewing (most) TLDs does not reset the registration date, and so has zero impact on SEO - *age* of a domain *can* have an impact, not "last updated date".

Good talking point - does anyone have a reference from Google on the impact of domain registration or domain age?

Frankly this is the first time I have heard of SEO being affected by how frequently you renew your domain name. That's why I got a bit concerned when I read about it here :) So, I do hope to see any reference from Google myself.

As to age, I don't have a reference from Google yet as well. But, my mentor in internet marketing has been telling me never to delete old blogs even if I no longer update them. That's because "age matters in Google searches." That would work to my advantage once I decide to go back working on the blog.

Well, I have seen many discussions on domain age factor, people giving answers from both the sides. Till now I have never heard about the domain age either from Google or Matt Cutts. However, people still says that Google values the age of a site trust factor. Maybe this is one of factors of Google that we are not sure about...

It's like buying owned licenses, dam expensive!

And at that, a great amount more, I see 1-10 years fine really, £5-£6 a year as an expensive, nothing compared to the £80 /mo server bill, just for one.

Try running 20 then the Domain expensive becomes nothing.