Why don't web host run offsite backups?

Some hosts I have had in the past turn off daily back ups for large sites because it causes cpu issues. I know that does not answer your question but might help.

All depends on the host. I know there are some hosts in the industry that do run offsite backups, but yes some don't. Sometimes they only do it for customers who request it or pay for it.

Why don't any Web hosts run offsite backups?

You'll find that most web hosts do run offsite backups for business continuity (as Collabora alluded to). However, when businesses run their offsite backups, the backups are usually done as a part of a disaster recovery plan. They're also sometimes full images of a hard drive, so restoring a single cPanel account, home directory, mySQL database, or even a single email becomes a huge administrative pain for the web host. In this case, web hosts will charge for backups.

You'll also find, which is a bit less common, web hosts that run offsite backups as a courtesy to clients (also for disaster recovery). These are usually just cPanel archives that can be restored on servers as necessary, but sometimes they'll use software like Idera (R1Soft) that lets you do it yourself. Sometimes web hosts will still charge for backups when they're done on an account-per-account basis (both as a way to make money and due to the fact that it does take administrative time to find the backup and restore it).

I can think of several providers who use each method, so I wouldn't say that no web host runs offsite backups. :)

Are you asking this because you had issues with a host and you did not have your own backups?

It is always the clients responsibility to run their own backups.

As others say most host will run offsite backups for disaster recovery purposes.

It is even easy for a single client using Cpanel to use the cpanel backup feature through FTP to a offsite server.

We use cPremote on our servers to an offsite backup server which then the backup server is mirrored to a third server. We then charge clients a small monthly fee so they can request any of these backup if they want.

That's a pretty broad statement.. What makes you think in such a generalizing manner? :uhh:

As others have already stated, many hosts do in fact run off-site backups. Now, whether they advertise such services openly or charge for it, is another thing.. :thumbup:

That's a pretty broad statement.. What makes you think in such a generalizing manner? :uhh:

As others have already stated, many hosts do in fact run off-site backups. Now, whether they advertise such services openly or charge for it, is another thing.. :thumbup:

There it is :)

Personally I think the OP had had a host fail on them and they have not had their own backups and the host has not provided them any either.

We run offsite backups on all of our shared hosting, but not dedi, VPS etc. that is down to the customer..

Offsite backup, in my opinion, is an excellent option to offer clients. We offer it but do expect clients to keep their own backups and use ours for an emergency.

Most of the Times its a Clients Responsibility for the Backups, some hosts maintain clients Backups in Management Services.

Most of the Times its a Clients Responsibility for the Backups, some hosts maintain clients Backups in Management Services.

Clients should always be Responsible for their own Backups and should make these on a regular basis.

A host should always be creating offsite backups either Daily or Weekly for their own security, so if they suffer any sort of server failure they will have offsite backups, so they can get everything back up with a minimum of disruption.

It is then up to the host if they allow clients access to any of these backups.

A host should always be creating offsite backups either Daily or Weekly for their own security, so if they suffer any sort of server failure they will have offsite backups, so they can get everything back up with a minimum of disruption.

Tip: The offsite backup should be a supplement to the onsite backup, not a replacement. It can take days to recover with an offsite backup. Offsite backups are good in case there is damage to facility or the on-site backup system itself is inaccessible.