Why Ecommerce hosting the hard way

surgematrix

Millions of entrepreneurs are making their online presence. It is no surprise as that is the trend of the future. It is costing them a fortune to host their ecommerce websites. Mostly because they signup for package deals. There is an easy and cost effective way to get your ecommerce site. Rather than paying huge monthly fee, I recommend getting a regular hosting account with reasonable amount of bandwith and just buy a shopping cart like x-cart and install it on your account. It will cost you less monthly. We had clients that are going this way and they love it.
This is just my two cents.

Millions of entrepreneurs are making their online presence. It is no surprise as that is the trend of the future. It is costing them a fortune to host their ecommerce websites. Mostly because they signup for package deals. There is an easy and cost effective way to get your ecommerce site. Rather than paying huge monthly fee, I recommend getting a regular hosting account with reasonable amount of bandwith and just buy a shopping cart like x-cart and install it on your account. It will cost you less monthly. We had clients that are going this way and they love it.
This is just my two cents.
Thanks for the info. Don't forget the other ingredients - the gateway and merchant account. Don't have a ton of financial resources - PayPal is the way to go. If you transmit or store any data from credit or debit card transactions on your servers, you must also be PCI compliant.

PS: If you're processing these transactions on your site, you'll need a dedicated IP and an SSL certificate.

Last edited:
You've got a point there. Many "ecommerce hosting" packages are little more than overpriced regular shared hosting accounts with a nifty title.

Love the nifty title reference :) It's very true on a large scale! So many hosting companies are offering pretty much a basic shared hosting with a dedicated IP and then consider that an ecommerce package. Security seems to fall to the hosting client more than the hosting company.

As mentioned, ecommerce is more than just the hosting account - SSL, Shopping Cart, Merchant Gateway, Shipping Providers and PCI Compliance will all play a role. Throw backups into the mix too, as the last thing you will want is a site to disapear overnight due to a corrupted database!

It still amazes me that people attempt to run a store on a $1.99/month hosting package, or the customers that are processing $70,000/month and running on a mid-level $30/month package. If you're doing that much business, get a dedicated server and be secure without any possible risks of downtime due to other users on a shared account.

It seems to be shifting more this way anyway - security and PCI Compliance are still two pretty big hurdles for many companies.

It still amazes me that people attempt to run a store on a $1.99/month hosting package, or the customers that are processing $70,000/month and running on a mid-level $30/month package. If you're doing that much business, get a dedicated server and be secure without any possible risks of downtime due to other users on a shared account.
Very true. I'm still amazed at how many threads I've read in different forums of businesses claiming to have lost thousands of dollars in revenue because their shared host suffered some server or network issue.

:) We have a pretty good relationship with some of our customers and not only have access to their merchant accounts for troubleshooting issues, but have also worked with their google analytics and store backends which we can actually see how much traffic they get and how much they're converting with how much in sales etc. We had a customer that was processing $120,000/month on a budget plan ($16.95/month) - no SSL Cert - just paypal and 2checkout. He's not hurting the server at all, and we're not PUSHING HIM to get a dedicated server - but well take MY business - Web Hosting ;) Our site is on 6 different servers and a failover DNS, and we're not processing $120k/month ;) Go figure!

We have a pretty good relationship with some of our customers and not only have access to their merchant accounts for troubleshooting issues, but have also worked with their google analytics and store backends which we can actually see how much traffic they get and how much they're converting with how much in sales etc.

I know only a handful of companies that will go to such extents for their customers. And that's from someone who has come across hundreds of companies. Amazes me every time I learn about an operation like that.