Will you pay the top dollar for the top hosting?

The Pioneer

Often, well.. routinely there are negative reviews of web hosts because they didn't supply what the customer paid for. But as the customer, would you invest more to get more?

Instead of a $10 web hosting account, would you rather pay an extra $10 if the web host takes true accountability for your business presence and provides top-notch performance?

I was always valuing good service more than anything. For me it is important that there is always someone on the other side who can react fast to any issue.

So yes, I will pay extra for such service.

But how many of the people responding aren't hosting providers?

I know we're banking on customers paying more for our support, but once they've gotten a taste of the ultra low cost hosting, they no longer care.

I've encountered it many times. The customer transferring away loves our support, complains about the new company's support, but still follows the price.

Sad, but true.

I will pay extra as well for good service.. if you dont, then what "cheaper" for good services ends on bad experiences..

But how many of the people responding aren't hosting providers?

I know we're banking on customers paying more for our support, but once they've gotten a taste of the ultra low cost hosting, they no longer care.

I've encountered it many times. The customer transferring away loves our support, complains about the new company's support, but still follows the price.

Sad, but true.

Can't answer for the first part, but I can for the rest.

Yes from time to time some clients do move on to the cheap arena and honestly that doesn't bother me a bit. If they choose to drop security and support for lower prices, that's their choice and not mine, I won't suffer for the lost of even a few clients. They'll suffer pretty good when something does go wrong (and it will).

The ones who pay for service are the clients I like. These are the clients that aren't 15 year old kids who have a gaming site that 10 people might visit in a given month. A website is an investment, and if they're not willing to invest the right amount, then that's no worry of mine, only their loss in the end.

That's true...Most people just go for the cheapest price instead of comparing and taking into account all the other factors.

Interesting topic...

Not taking into account children but adults:
The reason I find people moving away from more expensive web hosting companies to cheaper ones are often they cannot afford this extra pleasure; as face it, for a lot of people it is simply a pleasure, simply a personal site which wouldn't cost them anything if they didn't have it [It'd probably save them]. Living costs are going up - petrol, food, books, television and so forth. A lot of adults who move from expensive to cheap do so because they look at situation, and feel it's more important to buy food and other things which are a necessity as opposed to an extra which isn't really needed.

However, another reason I find, which is less common although does occur, is that the person does not need any support - However needs the server to be up. They then think going with a cheaper provider will be better as for them it does not matter about support, since they don't need it [In regards to setting up e-mails, etc.] however they just need the server to be up.

If I myself were the client. Well, I would if I received phone support. I don't spend big-money unless I'm able to call them up. Oh, and I don't mean phone support in the U.S., I actually mean phone support either here in France, or in Germany or in the U.K. [I don't mind an international call to the U.K. or Germany; however calling the U.S. just costs too much - Especially if I'll be on the phone for ten or twenty minutes]; oh, and they must be fluent in English.

Re

That's right, a website is an investment and this should be the main focus when locating the right hosting provider. When cost becomes the main factor, rather than quality, you are at risk of your business losing money from downtime.

I think it all comes down to experience. When I first started on the net, with my first business I went for the cheapest host.. and well, had the awful experience of what it's like to "go for low".. My site was down constantly, and I couldn't get a reply to anything, let alone an explanation as to why it was happening or when to expect these problems to be resolved.

The way to think when you are considering your host is:

Do they offer fair prices based on the services they provide?

Do they respond promptly or have a good, solid support system in place?

Do they have an open community forum? (if they have nothing to hide, no reason why they wouldn't offer this type of connectivity)

Is their website fully functional? If you find broken links or images of any kind, run.. any company serious about their business is going to constantly monitor their site to ensure it runs smoothly.

Of course, even following these general rules won't always yield a warm and fuzzy experience with whoever you choose to host you. Sometimes, it's all in luck .. but at least you can eliminate a few of the obvious let downs.

Do they have an open community forum? (if they have nothing to hide, no reason why they wouldn't offer this type of connectivity)
This I don't believe should be taken into account when looking for a web hosting company. Going by that, you are saying it is a bad idea to choose a web host without a forum?

Not a very clever move. Just because a company does not have a forum board does not by any means mean that they have something to hide, or are a bad company. There are plenty of decent and respectable companies without a forum board - I even know of a few companies who are better [In all aspects] than some with forum boards.

Some companies do not like have forum boards for various reasons - Such as the fact some people don't post on it, meaning it looks empty and deters prospective clients. Others do not like it as they find they could just as easily respond to support requests via a ticket system and actually respond quicker via the ticket system.

If one is worried whether the company in question is good or bad - They can just as easily come here, or go to WebHostingTalk or any other forum based on web hosting. They don't know the host in question to have a forum board.

The way to think when you are considering your host is:
I think you should change that. Maybe something such as: "Some possible things to consider when choosing your web host"

I wouldn't pay top dollar for top hosting. You can find quality budget providers. The industry has so much competition where you get more than you pay for a lot of times. I'm not saying go with the dirt cheapest, but I would never go for the most expensive. You can get reliability and stability for a decent, relatively low price now-a-days. When I look for servers I look for speed, decent uptime, and quick reboots.

I would pay top dollar if the company is reputable and I am confident they can deliver. However, there are many companies out there that are charging budget rates that can also deliver quality service, so paying top dollar would (more or less) be a luxury. But with luxury, if you've got the money, it's well worth it. "You get what you pay for." And it costs top dollar to host with the best -- and I mean THE best, not those who "claim" to be the best.

JP

I would and do pay more for hosting as I expect service and get it. Most hosting companies have support that is non-existant and should be avoided at all costs.

We need to accept the fact that there are lot of companies offering good support and service with cheap rate, however there are few companies in opposite criteria!
But we cannot say that companies those are charging highly will provide good service.

I would want to get my moneys worth of course. so if i know that my host will provide high quality service with everything else i need for a high price i would invest my money in them. especially if my site means alot to me and i always need it up. the problem is you dont know if a host will really be what they say unless you experience them.

I find hosting just like buying a car. I'll pay the higher cost for great service and support. There is a reason why someone forks over the money for a BMW then they do for a Ford Taurus.

Yeah, the scenario might be a little far fetched; however, you get the point. We pay for a custom-built servers and peer1 network. The best in the industry and I do not think anything of it.

I am strictly a customer but got involved here when I had ambitions of "maybe" trying out being a web host.

For years I have had a resellers account because I have a number of domains and I provide web space free of charge to a few friends.

Over the last 8 years, I have had the budget priced, the exorbinant priced, the "little guy" and the "big guy" web hosts.

In my experience ... the budget priced guys ... all that I have had the misfortune to deal with have since disappeared. Sometimes without any warning whatsoever.

Now, when I look for a web host ... I look for the middle of the road pricing with a company that has a pretty good reputation for support and uptime. Sort of a proven track record.

My current web host I found via this forum. They weren't the cheapest, nor were they the most expensive. But ... with their support & uptime ... I feel I am getting excellent service for the price I am paying.

In all my previous experiences ... the first indicator that its time to move and to move quickly is ... if the support desk becomes unresponsive. My previous host, I broke that rule because they had been excellent up to about 4 months before I moved to my current host. I will not make that error again.

Peter

Anything sold should come with some type of promise. As long as you let the customer know what he/she is getting for the amount of money negotiated then its fair enough. You get what you pay for. Bottom line