Windows 10 Offers Unlimited Disk Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collabora

Account Disabled
In earlier posts I have illustrated how Disk Quotas work in servers and desktops and how that relates to Unlimited Disk Space. Has anything changed in Windows 10? The answer is NO.

To check it out proceed with the following on your own PC (1) Open This PC, right-click a hard disk and choose Properties on the context menu (2) Select Quota and tap Show Quota Settings (3) Choose Enable quota management, set disk space limit and warning level, select quota logging option according to specific needs, and then hit OK.

I have attached the results if Drive F is chosen. You will note that the process, dialogues and results are the same with previous versions of Windows -- both desktop and server. Here is unlimited disk space.

Attachments

• Unlimited_disk_space.png
    Unlimited_disk_space.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 10
The way I read this is that it simply means that you can allow a single user to fill an entire disk, not that you have unlimited disk space in Windows 10.

The way I read this is that it simply means that you can allow a single user to fill an entire disk, not that you have unlimited disk space in Windows 10.

You can have multiple users each with their own quota, and each can be unlimited. If you follow along on your PC and continue with a step (4) by clicking on Quota Entries you will see how to configure disk quota for other users. Every user can be configured for unlimited -- the size of the disk is irrelevant (it can even be an sd card)

See attached. 2 Users have unlimited disk space, 1 user has 3 GB

Attachments

• quota1.jpg
    quota1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Sure, I can set quotas for multiple users to unlimited, but in the case you used as evidence, that just gives each of them the ability to fill the hard drive you selected to set quotas for, and that drive has physical limits. Give me an example where they could spill over to a different drive in Windows 10.

If I have a 1TB drive on my Windows 10 computer with only 2MB of disk space remaining on that drive and my quota for that drive is set to unlimited, then I attempt to write a file to it that's 1GB in size, what will happen?

Sure, I can set quotas for multiple users to unlimited, but in the case you used as evidence, that just gives each of them the ability to fill the hard drive you selected to set quotas for, and that drive has physical limits.

Its not evidence! Its reality. Its the actual meaning of unlimited. As I have repeatedly remarked, unlimited refers to the disk quota not the physical hardware. "Unlimited" is an OS configuration. And that is the REALITY.

If I have a 1TB drive on my Windows 10 computer with only 2MB of disk space remaining on that drive and my quota for that drive is set to unlimited, then I attempt to write a file to it that's 1GB in size, what will happen?

Exactly what you think will happen, of course -- same thing if the user/customer has quota set to 3GB (as in earlier example) . But the quota does not change. When a site is provisioned (on Windows) the user has permission to home folder only, with disk quota of No Limit (or 3GB), just like in the pictures (on Linux Quota = 0). It remains unlimited (or 3GB) no matter how much physical disk space is available. Its unlimited (or 3GB) even when physical space goes to zero. The OS does not alter the quota behind the scenes according to available free space (that would be a disaster!).

The term "unlimited" has a specific meaning when referring to disk space quota and I am just illustrating what that is by showing what the OS says it is; its not the meaning you keep trying to give it.

Last edited:
What you're saying is that the quota is unlimited, not the space on the hard drive. Of course the "quota" will remain at unlimited if you attempt to write a file to a hard drive that is larger than the space left on that drive, but you won't be able to accomplish that task because that hard drive does have physical limits. That's reality. When you say that setting unlimited in quotas relates to unlimited disk space, your hypothesis is not sound. You're associating the permission to fill that drive with an ability to write unlimited data to it. I understand that's how you see it, but I obviously disagree with you, regardless of how many times you say it.

What you're saying is that the quota is unlimited, not the space on the hard drive. Of course the "quota" will remain at unlimited if you attempt to write a file to a hard drive that is larger than the space left on that drive, but you won't be able to accomplish that task because that hard drive does have physical limits. That's reality.

That reality, while true, is irrelevant to the definition of "unlimited" in the context of server administration and management.

When you say that setting unlimited in quotas relates to unlimited disk space, your hypothesis is not sound. You're associating the permission to fill that drive with an ability to write unlimited data to it. I understand that's how you see it, but I obviously disagree with you, regardless of how many times you say it.

This is untrue. I am not associating anything with anything. I am merely reporting the OS configuration. That's all

It is you that is erroneously equating "quota" with "available free space." Everything you said about writing files applies to any quota where the quota exceeds available free space, not just unlimited quota. Stay in denial and keep making up your own definitions for the meaning of disk quotas (e.g., the ridiculous assertion that unlimited quota is the same a infinite hardware), but do so at your own business peril. I'll stick with the definition according to the OS and a couple decades of sys admin books.

Last edited:
I never once asserted or implied that setting a quota for unlimited is the same as infinite hardware. There is no such thing as unlimited hardware. There is such a thing as unlimited quotas, but in Windows 10 only to the properties of a specific hard drive. This is not an issue of denial, rather a difference of opinion on the meaning of unlimited quotas as it relates to unlimited disk space. Please quote anywhere in Windows 10 documentation where it specifically mentions "unlimited disk space," as a reality.

That's not a quote. So I take it from your response that you can't find any Windows 10 documentation to support your stance. As such, the discussion on this thread sadly comes to an end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.