XEN, Open VZ or KVM?

Gintonic

So?

Which one is best solution for VPS.

I have been doing some research and I have to say that I am not much smarter now.

It seems that all three are using different technology.
I found good article on Xen vs KVM

An according to this KVM is future. But I have to say I am still undecided. Mostly because virtualization seems to be such a complicated topic and there is not much resource available to compare.

I found some posts on Xen. but nothing to detailed.

When it comes to Openvz everybody is always mentioning overselling and how you can oversell Openvz but not Xen.

There is also this topic here but also not to detailed http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/vp...85-openvz-vs-xen-whats-difference-better.html

Any other good comparison?

Usually when I shop for a VPS, the first reason I go for a XEN or KVM based VPS is due to the more dedicated resources that are allocated to you. Some OpenVZ providers provide extremely cheap but extremely oversold plans where having a VPS on an environment like that may be completely useless and defeats the purpose of paying for a VPS.

However, most OpenVZ based VPS are usually cheaper than XEN or KVM. It totally depends on what you need the VPS for. Are fully dedicated resources important to you? Or are you running software or development that requires the specific type of virtualization? Perhaps you're on a tight budget then finding a reliable OpenVZ provider may be your best choice.

KVM is always a great option, but if you can find yourself a reliable OpenVZ provider it makes more sense to go that route.

Remember there is excess overhead for individual kernels, etc with KVM, so unless you are doing something that requires customization like a dedi, you may as well go with OpenVZ.

Honestly you can't really go wrong with any of them. If you find a VPS host who has solid prices, a good reputation and great reliability, I wouldn't be too concerned about this.

In my past company I have had experience with Xen and had excellent reviews about it and very happy customers, extremely good at providing 'dedicated resources' for the VPS solutions.

We have chosed to work with OpenVZ and the less popular Virtuozzo for various reasons. However which one you choose you will be happy to.
It is not clear from your post - you are looking to get a VPS and cannot decide which platform, or you want to provide VPS services and cannot decide on the platform?

I prefer OpenVZ, because of:
- very efficient use of hardware
- memory savings (no memory used for the kernel and kernel modules and hardware utilities)
- very low overhead

OpenVZ is fine. A good thing about it is that it allows for better utilization of the resources of the underlying physical server(s). However it works on standalone servers only and it allow the provider to oversell the server resources. From client point of view it is much better to use Kernel-based Virtual Machine of Xen VM. Plus both offer more flexibility for the virtual host to run an OS different from the one of the underlying physical machine.

for the majority of people just wanting a vps to host their site or a few services Openvz is the best choice. For specific needs such as kernel choice or more privacy and dedicated resources KVM is better choice.

I give my voice for KVM. The advantage over Xen is that it uses hardware virtualization. And do not believe that XEN/KVM can not be oversell. It can.

They each have their own advantages and disadvantages, and your choice will vary depending on what you need. OpenVZ should be good for most users, especially if you're not running extremely intensive programs

I believe OpenVZ out performs all the others. I would go with that....

I doesn't actually. It is good if you want to reach full resource utilization of the underlying physical server. However in this scenario the CPU and RAM allocated to the virtual instances are not (might not) be guaranteed.

I would think of XEN as an option for very orthodox engineers
because however they can handle issues,if is your first time virtualizing and you are not an engineer I can only think of OpenVZ