Yahoo What a Joke

chrisj383

Hi,

I have a client who has his vps and other hosting with me and he just registered a domain name through Yahoo, well he can't register his own nameservers and when he phones them he gets passed from pillow to post, i told him he should start charging yahoo if they don't get it sorted.

What do you think about yahoo or any other domain registrar, please post your comments.

Chris

PS. To admins if you think this post is slanderish please remove it.

Well I hate to point fingers at anyone, but he should have done research on the registrar, BEFORE he got the domain name. Don't worry though, this has happen't to me once too. That's why I ALWAYS make sure the registrar HAS the feature I will need or want.

I'm not sure about yahoo, but there are a few registrars, they charge extra for creating your own nameservers. In this case I'm not sure what he can do. Mabye the best decision would be to wait till after 60 days. After that, he can transfer it out and move elsewhere. The good news is when you transfer, you'll get an extra year on the domain.

ldcdc said:
Why is that? AFAIK Yahoo uses http://www.melbourneit.com.au/ to register domains. Maybe your friend can get some (or better) help from them?
If Yahoo is a reseller for them, they won't do anything. I've tried that in the past and they tell you to consolidate the reseller company. Personally I'd stay away from places like yahoo and google etc.. There are many other companies that are out there. Godaddy, Namecheap, Namepros etc.. I can go on.

That's why I usually asked my clients about their domain, especially if their very new to hosting etc..

I hope things get resolved with your client. Let us know how it goes.

chrisj383 said:
Hi,

I have a client who has his vps and other hosting with me and he just registered a domain name through Yahoo, well he can't register his own nameservers and when he phones them he gets passed from pillow to post, i told him he should start charging yahoo if they don't get it sorted.

What do you think about yahoo or any other domain registrar, please post your comments.

Chris

PS. To admins if you think this post is slanderish please remove it.
The last resort is to transfer the domain to another registrar.

Problem with companies like Yahoo and Google is they have so many products, that they really don't care about dealing with things to a standard that a client deserves.

So with Yahoo you can't create your own hostname servers? Maybe the techs on the other end don't understand what he is trying to do?

These days most registrars should allow you to set and change name servers or add glue at the nameservers.

I am surprised that somewhere like yahoo don't do this unless of coarse the techs you spoke to were not aware of this.

Noel_Colo-UK said:
These days most registrars should allow you to set and change name servers or add glue at the nameservers.

I am surprised that somewhere like yahoo don't do this unless of coarse the techs you spoke to were not aware of this.

Yeah, it does sound like the techs were just not educated. I'm sure we would have heard about them not allowing hostname servers by now. So we could advise our clients to stay away from them if they need that service.

I don't really yahoo/google etc.. getting into domains or hosting at all. They should stick to what their doing now. Unless, they were to buyout say godaddy or namecheap etc.. There's tons of domain registrars people don't know about. I did a search on google and found some really old registrars, so i tried them out and a few of them are pretty good. I'd say they're as good as godaddy and/or namecheap.